unrestorable half unlocked 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone Unlock' started by dooferdog, Feb 8, 2012.

1. dooferdog

dooferdog New Member

Hi all. Not sure if anyone can help but would really appreciate any help offered. I paid for iPhoneunlockuk software and followed all instructions to unlock my 3gs. porcess fell over and I am now stuck with a phone that will not restore at all off any ipsw file via iTunes. Is there anyway for me to 'blank' the phone entirely and start again to get my phone back?. iPhoneunlockuk support non existent.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The paid software unlocks are scams. Ultrasn0w is free. Depending on your baseband, you might have to install the iPad baseband first. A GEVEY SIM unlock is another option. What carrier do you have? 02 will unlock it for a small fee. What baseband and firmware does your 3GS have? You'll need to restore the phone. You may have to put it in DFU mode first. Does iTunes recognize it?

3. dooferdog

dooferdog New Member

Thanks for the response Europa. Agree re the scam. I have discovered that now...:(

If I power in the phone untethered I get an iTunes logo with a USB cable and arrow suggesting I need to tether to iTunes. When I do this iTunes gives a message "iTunes has found a phone in recovery mode, you must restore before it can be used with iTunes". The restore will not then work giving a message that the phone isn't eligible for the requested build. Hence my question as to whether I can just start again. As far as I know I got part way through the software process which flashed the baseband to 06.15.00. I am on Orange UK

Here is the process I was following from the iPhoneunlockUK website. I am using a macbookpro. The process fell over at stage 3 step f.:

edit: could not post all the text due to character limit on this forum.Will try to post in chunks below.

Install unlock for 3GS running iOS 5

3GS can be software unlocked only up to version 4.1. These instructions show you how to get there from whatever firmware you are running. Please note software unlocks are irreversible - once you do this you will not be able to upgrade to the official factory unlock. Think very carefuly before you do this as to whether you are happy being unable to update as normal in iTunes.
    3GS Customers already unlocked with us can follow the instructions in Stage 3 to upgrade to iOS 5 and remain unlocked.

Stage 1: Downgrade your handset to iOS 4.1

Windows users ONLY

3GS iOS 4.1 - iPhone2,1_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw
    You MUST be using Internet Explorer as your browser for this. Right click on the firmware link above and choose "Save As" or "Save Target As". Then make sure that you select Save As "All File Types" and rename it in the file browser so that the file ends in .ipsw rather than .zip (i.e. delete the .zip part) (see below for how the window should look:)

We also recommend that you save it on your desktop so it is easily located.
    Mac users ONLY

You MUST be using Safari as your browser for this. Make sure "Open Safe Files after Downloading" is NOT ticked in Safari >> Preferences >> General - you can access this quickly by pressing ⌘, (the cmd key and the comma key at the same time)

3GS iOS 4.1 - iPhone2,1_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw
    Click on the firmware link above to download the file. Make sure you don't double click and hence decompress the file once its downloaded!
    Once downloaded, you will notice the file ends in .zip and is a zip file. You now need to rename the file and get rid of the .zip extension so it ends in .ipsw. Changing the file extension changes the file type to a firmware file so that iTunes can use it.

Windows users ONLY:

Navigate to Windows > System 32 > drivers > etc
    Mac users ONLY:

Right click on the "Finder" icon in the Dock (on a laptop, to right click hold down the ctrl key and click) then select "go to folder" and type in /private/etc/
    Step a: Locate a file named hosts, and then open it up with a text editor.
    Step b: Add the following code to hosts and save the file:
    74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com
    Step c: Put your device into DFU mode - Connect your 3GS to your computer via USB cable. Press and hold Power and Home buttons together for about 10 seconds, release the Power button while holding Home button for an extra 10 seconds. You’ll know when you’re in DFU mode, this is when the screen will go completely blank.
    Step d: Load iTunes, it should tell you there is an iPhone in recovery mode. If it doesn't, you are not in DFU mode correctly, repeat Step C. Otherwise, hold down shift (on a pc) or alt (on a mac) and click restore, select the 4.1 firmware file you downloaded earlier
    Step e: You should get a 1015 error - simply run iUnlock 5.0 and choose "exit recovery" and follow the instructions
    Step f: Your device should now be on a clean 4.1 system

#3 dooferdog, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2013
  4. dooferdog

dooferdog New Member

Continued:

Stage 2: Prepare iPhone for Unlock by upgrading baseband to 06.15.00

Step a: Edit /etc/hosts using the method above and remove the gs.apple.com entry
    Step b: Download and run iUnlock 4.3.3 (Mac) or iUnlock 4.3.3 (Win) and select the iOS 4.1 firmware file you downloaded earlier when asked to Browse for firmware
    Step c: Choose install Cydia and Prepare for Unlock
    Step d: Your baseband will be upgraded to 06.15.00

Stage 3: Upgrade to iOS 5 (only if you have baseband 06.15.00)

Windows users ONLY

3GS iOS 5.0.1 - iPhone2,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw
    You MUST be using Internet Explorer as your browser for this. Right click on the firmware link above and choose "Save As" or "Save Target As". Then make sure that you select Save As "All File Types" and rename it in the file browser so that the file ends in .ipsw rather than .zip (i.e. delete the .zip part) (see below for how the window should look:)

We also recommend that you save it on your desktop so it is easily located.
    Mac users ONLY

You MUST be using Safari as your browser for this. Make sure "Open Safe Files after Downloading" is NOT ticked in Safari >> Preferences >> General - you can access this quickly by pressing ⌘, (the cmd key and the comma key at the same time)

3GS iOS 5.0.1 - iPhone2,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw
    Click on the firmware link above to download the file. Make sure you don't double click and hence decompress the file once its downloaded!
    Once downloaded, you will notice the file ends in .zip and is a zip file. You now need to rename the file and get rid of the .zip extension so it ends in .ipsw. Changing the file extension changes the file type to a firmware file so that iTunes can use it.

Download iUnlock 5.0.1 jailbreak software

Windows: Download and run iUnlock 5.0.1.exe
    Mac: Download and run iUnlock 5.0.1.zip
    Step b: Run iUnlock 5.0.1, click extras and then create custom .ipsw
    Step c: Select the iOS 5.0.1 firmware file… iUnlock will create firmware beginning with NO_BB_xx
    Step d: Click back, select "Enter PWNed DFU"
    Step e: Load iTunes, hold down shift (on a pc) or alt (on a mac) and click restore, select the 5.0 firmware file you created which begins with NO_BB
    Step f: Phone will reboot. Make sure you select "Disable Location Services" and follow the prompts to activate your handset. Setup as a new iPhone.
    Step g: Click back in iUnlock 5.0.1, and back again, and then click Jailbreak, this will install Cydia. -->

Stage 4: Install Instant, Permanent Unlock for any carrier

Step a: Connect to a WiFi network on your iPhone using Settings >> Wifi to enable you to download the permanent unlock.
    Step b: On your iPhone should be a brown icon called 'Cydia' (it may be on the 2nd page of icons)

Touch the Cydia icon on the iPhone and if prompted, PERFORM ALL UPDATES, then touch Search and type in 'ultra' and scroll down to ultrasn0w

Step c: Touch Ultrasn0w and make sure you click Install at the top right

Simply reboot the handset when prompted, and put the sim card you wish to use into the iPhon

#4 dooferdog, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2013
  5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

If you are trying to restore to any firmware other than 5.0.1, you will need to modify your hosts file so it redirects from Apple to Saurik's server. It will only work if you have an SHSH for that firmware.

6. dooferdog

dooferdog New Member

OK sounds interesting and thanks for your ongoing responses! But can you help with some more detail. I know the hosts file you are talking about and can edit it, but what is Saurik's server and sorry how do I go about using an SHSH for that firmware? Sorry but I'm not ultra techy but with a few more details will probably be able to follow... Thanks

7. dooferdog

dooferdog New Member

OK. A quick google has revealed that the saurik server is 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com. I already have that in my hosts file as part of the unlockUK process. Still not sure about the SHSH stuff though..

8. fijiman

fijiman Contributor
    Silver

Seems it's your first time to unlock/jailbreak....if you haven't saved previous SHSH files for older firmware you cannot downgrade. Pay O2 for a permanent factory unlock...takes 2-4 days...(UK only)

9. dooferdog

dooferdog New Member