unwanted incoming texts count on plan?

danielfillmore

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
previously i was to understand (but never officially looked into it) that if you received a text, but didn't open it, it didn't count against your text balance. now with iPhone, service is different, where you don't have the option whether or not to open an incoming text. (right?) so my question is, what if you keep receiving unwanted texts from an unwanted party? these texts are going to be deducted from your text plan right? example: "friend" keeps texting me who i don't want to conversate with but keeps texting anyways. any insight on this? thanks

umakbill

Bronze
Aug 17, 2007
I would recommend taking to Att or your friend about that. I don't know of a way to block numbers on the phone itself, but Att should be able to do something.

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
Regardless of the device, if you receive a TXT, it counts against your balance. Once it's delivered to your device, how would the service provider know whether or not it was opened?

I think your only course of action is to: 1) call AT&T and see if they can block your friend's number from being able to send you TXTs, or 2) tell your friend to quit sending you TXT messages. AT&T has no way of knowing how many messages a person receives are actually messages they WANT, so it's your responsibility to limit access to your number/service to people whom you want to have it.

If I were you, I'd just tell your friend to quit sending you TXTs. I've done that with people. Just tell him that he's putting you over your monthly limit and that it's starting to cost you money. If he can't respect that, then he's not much of a friend.

danielfillmore

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
ya, that sounds reasonable. i'm trying to switch over to using email as much as possible too, with the people who have easy access to it. seems better anyways.

mm1250

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
What about SPAM text messages, I'm starting to almost get them on a regular basis now. It's actually more annoying than the text message it costing.

I don't know but somehow my phone number got into some text message spam list.

adm

Aug 22, 2007
somewhat related question here.. Am I understanding this right that ATTs unlimited SMS package is only unlimited for ATT<>ATT SMS? The rest count against the default 200, and once over that number you are being charged premium?

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
somewhat related question here.. Am I understanding this right that ATTs unlimited SMS package is only unlimited for ATT<>ATT SMS? The rest count against the default 200, and once over that number you are being charged premium?

No, sms are counted equally regardless of to or whom it is sent to.

adm

Aug 22, 2007
No, sms are counted equally regardless of to or whom it is sent to.
ah, thanks-- I guess I was thrown off by the statement on ATTs website:

Now AT&T wireless subscribers can exchange unlimited text, picture and video messages! No more bill surprises! Instant Messages, alerts, off-network, premium messages, and messages to/from non-AT&T customers will be deducted from your Messaging Starter allowance.

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
You may want to check directly with AT&T regarding the specific plan that you're interested in. I have a $5 plan that's unlimited SMS but it's AT&T to AT&T only. Messages sent to non-AT&T phones go against the 200 that come with the data plan.

On the other hand, I have a $20 unlimited plan on my daughters phone and it's unlimited to anybody.

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
That is what I hate about the US cell phone companies text plan. In other countries (including mine) you only pay outgoing text and outgoing calls. So if you are not the one making the call or sending the text you wont get dinged. I think this is how it shoud be done because WE all get unwanted calls and text and we shoud not be the ones to suffer and pay for it. The problem is cell phone companies will never do that because they make a lot more money with the current system.

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
That is what I hate about the US cell phone companies text plan. In other countries (including mine) you only pay outgoing text and outgoing calls. So if you are not the one making the call or sending the text you wont get dinged. I think this is how it shoud be done because WE all get unwanted calls and text and we shoud not be the ones to suffer and pay for it. The problem is cell phone companies will never do that because they make a lot more money with the current system.
In general, I think the US cell phone market isn't as advanced as those in Europe & Asia because it doesn't have to be. Land lines are still prevalent, and we aren't yet to the point where cell phones have replaced people's home phones. Our infrastructure is newer - 100 year old buildings in the US are considered VERY old, but it's not that way in other countries.

In short, the American cell phone market hasn't matured to the level other networks have. We'll get there, but we aren't there yet.

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
In general, I think the US cell phone market isn't as advanced as those in Europe & Asia because it doesn't have to be. Land lines are still prevalent, and we aren't yet to the point where cell phones have replaced people's home phones. Our infrastructure is newer - 100 year old buildings in the US are considered VERY old, but it's not that way in other countries.

In short, the American cell phone market hasn't matured to the level other networks have. We'll get there, but we aren't there yet.
This is very true. Before I got here in the states texting was already a very big and old thing in my country and when i got here that feature wasn't even offered yet. What ive notice though is that people are very reluctant to jump on the cell phone band wagon here and I do believe that a potion of that has to do with the plans that are being offered. They are billing us for every single feature that can be available. I don't want to sound that I'm bragging or putting people down but most people is my country even the ones that have low income have cellphone because of how affordable the plans are. All they do is buy a predaid simcard and try to minimize the use as much as possible.
as possible and just have other people text or call them.