Update 7.4 Out

grydlock

Jun 23, 2007
So the new update with the ringtones tab is out, but now how do we actually get the ringtones? Do we make em ourselves, and how do we locate them through iTunes?

jbarrack

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
New York
www.facebook.com
You make them yourself ... but you cant even do it yet. You have to wait a week or so till Apple lets you make them ... I don't think they are quite ready yet ... not to sure why they even put the update out if their not ready

Once Apple makes these available for purchase to download, they will show up in iTunes. There won't be a way to make your own via iTunes unless you use another program to make your own and upload them to the iPhone.

The will only be available for purchase through iTunes and again, iTunes will not allow to you to use songs that you already have.

Survivor61

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Once Apple makes these available for purchase to download, they will show up in iTunes. There won't be a way to make your own via iTunes unless you use another program to make your own and upload them to the iPhone.

The will only be available for purchase through iTunes and again, iTunes will not allow to you to use songs that you already have.
I hear it also erases any other ringtones you may have on your phone, that you put on with a 3rd party app. How nice of them! :)

ucla24

Bronze
Aug 17, 2007
I hear it also erases any other ringtones you may have on your phone, that you put on with a 3rd party app. How nice of them! :)

I installed the 7.4 update on my rig....all of my ringtones are still there. It did not erase any of mine.

jakkyl

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
Not true. If you have iTunes purchased songs already downloaded that are ringtone compatible, Jobs clearly said during they keynote that you can still use these, you don't have to purchase them again.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Not true. If you have iTunes purchased songs already downloaded that are ringtone compatible, Jobs clearly said during they keynote that you can still use these, you don't have to purchase them again.
That's not what they were saying. If I had previously put 500 CDs of my own music into iTunes, I wouldn't be able to make a ringtone out of any song that I did not DIRECTLY purchase through iTunes, not even if I paid the $0.99.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
You make them yourself ... but you cant even do it yet. You have to wait a week or so till Apple lets you make them ... I don't think they are quite ready yet ... not to sure why they even put the update out if their not ready
For the same reason the announced the iPhone in January when it wasn't ready yet... be patient, it'll come. :)

That's not what they were saying. If I had previously put 500 CDs of my own music into iTunes, I wouldn't be able to make a ringtone out of any song that I did not DIRECTLY purchase through iTunes, not even if I paid the $0.99.
Exactly. If you purchase a song on iTunes, you can then buy the ringtone for an additional .99cents. So each ringtone will essentially cost $1.99.