update allows deleting on Exchange?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
iPhone user tells me that his new update allows him to delete emails from his iPhone which effectively deletes from his Outlook/exchange. My understanding was it didn't used to remove it from his Outlook. He doesn't want this feature and his calls to support said it a setting needs to be changed on the Exchange server. Anyone have an idea what that setting might be?

glen

Oct 1, 2007
Isn't that the way Exchange server and the IMAP protocol work? They sync to keep both current. I know my Outlook client updates to anything I do in the web access. Also company Blackberries do the same.

jjsmith

Oct 2, 2007
Having researched the iPhone a lot before I purchased, I read that after the update email deleted on the iPhone can now be deleted on the server as well. That was a big factor in my decision to get the iPhone. I don't have experience with the OS prior to the update.

Here are my observations on the "delete" issue after tinkering with it for a day. Keep in mind that I connect to Exchange 2003. If you create an account on the iPhone using the IMAP button, email deleted on the iPhone is NOT deleted on the server. If you create an account on the iPhone using the Exchange button, email deleted on the iPhone IS deleted on the server.