Update and homemade ringtones

setritt

Sep 6, 2007
does anyone know if the 1.1.3 update will get rid of the homemade (by cutting songs using iTunes) ringtones that were made able by iTunes 7.5 and 1.1.2.

any update would be great. i'm searching before i upgrade.

feel free to pm if you want.

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
does anyone know if the 1.1.3 update will get rid of the homemade (by cutting songs using iTunes) ringtones that were made able by iTunes 7.5 and 1.1.2.

any update would be great. i'm searching before i upgrade.

feel free to pm if you want.
That's how I made mine, and they are still there and working fine.

kimo

Bronze
Aug 7, 2007
in case anyone is interested the ringtones that you made with iTunes 7.5 and 1.1.2 work when you update to 1.1.3 and iTunes 7.6
I will also confirm that the update (1.1.3 and 7.6) kept the work around ringtones.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I have 7.6 and 1.1.3, and my ringtones are still there.

- John

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
can you still make new ones as well?
Yes, here is my tut:

1. Find a song you want to use as a ringtone.
2. Use whatever program you use to "clip" a section under 30 seconds long.(Audacity is a Freeware Program)
3. Double click the shortened file and it will go into the "Music" section of iTunes and it will start to play.
4. Right click on the file and choose the "Convert to AAC" from the drop down menu.
5. You will now have two of the same files in the iTunes Music Playlist.
6. Right click on one of the two and choose "show in (to locate the file) explorer."
7. Right click on the song with the m4a to m4r extension. You can delete the other one from that folder. If you don't see the file extension then you need to open your Explorer (myComputer) go to tools/folder options/view then go and make sure you have un-checked next to "Hide extensions for known file types".
8. Change the extension from m4a to m4r.
9 Go to iTunes and delete BOTH of the files from the playlist. Just make sure you click on "keep files."
10. Now go back to the folder you have the m4r file and double click it. It should go into the "ringtone folder" of iTunes.
11. Connect your iPhone, click on the "ringtone" tab and the song you need will be on the list. Check the check box and press the apply button lower right

Jan 16, 2008
Louisiana
Thanks!

After updating and loosing my ringtones I made through iPhoneringtonemaker, I tried this method using other peoples guides, but never could get it to work....
My husband nearly fell off the couch when I came running out of the office screaming that it finally worked! :p

Thank you so much!

Yes, here is my tut:

1. Find a song you want to use as a ringtone.
2. Use whatever program you use to "clip" a section under 30 seconds long.(Audacity is a Freeware Program)
3. Double click the shortened file and it will go into the "Music" section of iTunes and it will start to play.
4. Right click on the file and choose the "Convert to AAC" from the drop down menu.
5. You will now have two of the same files in the iTunes Music Playlist.
6. Right click on one of the two and choose "show in (to locate the file) explorer."
7. Right click on the song with the m4a to m4r extension. You can delete the other one from that folder. If you don't see the file extension then you need to open your Explorer (myComputer) go to tools/folder options/view then go and make sure you have un-checked next to "Hide extensions for known file types".
8. Change the extension from m4a to m4r.
9 Go to iTunes and delete BOTH of the files from the playlist. Just make sure you click on "keep files."
10. Now go back to the folder you have the m4r file and double click it. It should go into the "ringtone folder" of iTunes.
11. Connect your iPhone, click on the "ringtone" tab and the song you need will be on the list. Check the check box and press the apply button lower right

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
mine still work.. I think Apple gave up on stopping us from getting our tones