Update/jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by jetson22, May 20, 2014.

1. jetson22

jetson22 Member
    Bronze

I have a iPhone 5 currently jailbroke on 6.1. I am thinking of updating. Is there a way to go to ios 7 and jailbreak or will it cause more problems than it is worth?

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

You're stuck. If you update now you'll be forced to update to 7.1.1 and there is no public jailbreak for that firmware revision.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. jetson22

jetson22 Member
    Bronze

4. Duck1098

Duck1098 Member
    Bronze

What about 7.1?

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No, there is no 7.1 jailbreak. You can't update to it anyway. Apple only allows updating to the current version and the workarounds for that no longer work. Your options are to update to 7.1.1 and lose your jailbreak or stay on 6.1 and keep it.

6. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

As @Europa stated updating will kill your jailbreak, with that being said - there are currently two jailbreak developers displaying their latest jailbreaks. Although not public yet, it's always going to be a waiting game. Hopefully one of the two will release a working 7.1.1 jailbreak soon.

7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'm starting to believe that someone will release (especially I0n1c, as he has a working 5c jailbreak) a 7/1/1 jailbreak.

Other jailbreak devs aside from I0n1c and winocm have this capability as well. It's just a matter of time before someone's ego can't stand being out of the limelight any longer. :D

Plus, it's apparently a kernel vulnerability, which will probably be changed in the next iOS iteration, anyway. Use it or lose it. The big vulnerabilities are still safe for iOS 8.

8. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

That's what I'm hoping for, Kernel exploits are a one time only thing in my opinion. It makes no sense to waste it :p

Given that it's highly likely we're going to see a new phone soon and probably an iPad or two and a new version of iOS there will definitely be a new kernel.

So in other words... release the 7.1.1 jailbreak now! Once it's tested, though.

9. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

Just in time for the 7.1.2 (?) update that Apple will release to fix the iMessage/Android bug. lol

10. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I absolutely can't stand being on an old iOS. But I want to keep my jailbreak. :)