Update Killed My iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Comb

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
Has anyone else had a problem with the update? The update failed, and it cannot restore either. My phone is dead. Any ideas, or do I have to make a trip to the Apple store to exchange phones? If so, can I exchange at the AT&T store, so I don't have to drive an hour? Thanks.

:edit:
This is a stock iPhone. There are no mods, no ringtones, it has not been unlocked, and it has never been dropped, drowned, misused, abused, etc.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
Has anyone else had a problem with the update? The update failed, and it cannot restore either. My phone is dead. Any ideas, or do I have to make a trip to the Apple store to exchange phones? If so, can I exchange at the AT&T store, so I don't have to drive an hour? Thanks.
you could be a little more descriptive in your post..

for example,
is your phone currently modded?
is your phone currently locked?
both?
did you drop it in a blender?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I had no issues with my phone. It was stock and the update was smooth. Try the usual: Re-Install iTunes, Restart computer, iPhone, Do hard reset (Power/Home buttons). If none of it works, call Apple.

They might ask if you unlocked your phone, but don't worry, you can't get in trouble as long as you didn't. They will help you fix the issue.

ZodiacfreaK

Bronze
Jan 11, 2007
all is not lost yet man, hold down the home button and then hold down the power button while still holding down the home buttom. Do this for about ten seconds and it should restart into recover mode with the yellow triangle, now plug it into iTunes and restore. I am crossing my fingers for you.

Comb

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
all is not lost yet man, hold down the home button and then hold down the power button while still holding down the home buttom. Do this for about ten seconds and it should restart into recover mode with the yellow triangle, now plug it into iTunes and restore. I am crossing my fingers for you.
Tried that a couple times now, and when it tries to restore, it comes back with "The iPhone could not be restored due to an unknown error."

I appreciate the help guys. This is pretty frustrating, but it's good to know people are trying to help.

ZodiacfreaK

Bronze
Jan 11, 2007
I swear that same thing has happened to me, the exact same error message, just try my method again. Make sure you hold down both buttons for the whole time, if it doesn't work just try it again. I wouldn't give up til at least five tries.

gregneedham

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
This update went fine for me, but previously I had to restore and had to use another computer completely after multiple tries on my computer. I had to restore on a third, unrelated computer and it worked fine after that. Never did find out what happened, but all well now.

Comb

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
Ok, restoring on another computer worked... not how or why that works. I mean, I uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes, so I would think that would be similar to using a different computer, but clearly there's other information being used there.

Anyway, that was a real pain, but it's fixed now. Thank you all so much for your help.

gregneedham

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Well hot damn....I helped somebody. Glad your phone is okay. I usually just stumble around by myself and try to get things to work, so it's cool to have helped someone else!

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007

:edit:
This is a stock iPhone. There are no mods, no ringtones, it has not been unlocked, and it has never been dropped, drowned, misused, abused, etc.
Same thing here and I'm so hot i can see straight. Been working on this an hour or more already and nothing works. I have not touched my phone with any of the funny stuff, modds or any of that stuff -- I don't udnerstand it, don't want it, fear it would screw things up -- this is stock phone with only stuff added through iTunes.

I went to DL the update and install it, put the phone in the cradle, waited for the DL to finish, looked up and saw the dreaded yell triangle with the "Please connect to iTunes". I did all the suggests above to no avail. Then I realized I ahd not upgraded to iTunes 7.4.2, thinking that might be problemo, I did that and nothing.

I called Apple and guy said there was nothing I could do but Restore and lose everything -- notes, pictures not DLed yet, bookmarks, contacts added since last sync etc etc..... I was pissed enough at that time.

So I go ahead and hit the damn Restore button and after waiting awhile get error mess saying "The iPhone could not be restores, An unknown errpr occurred (1604)." So I went through it all again, tried again to restore and this time got same message except code 1603.

Any help appreciated?

I'm baack on hold with Apple as I type.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Just went through this yesterday. About crapped myself because all I have on my phone was about 5 programs.
Here's what I did.
1) take out the SIM card and do the whole "hold down the 2 buttons" routine that you should be sick of by now.
2)reboot your PC and then launch iTunes.
3)If you are connecting using the dock, DON'T! Go straight in with just the cable.
4) At this point iTunes should be able to see the phone and you should be able to do a restore.
5)after the restore is complete, shut down the phone, insert the SIM and then boot it again. you should then have the opportunity to restore your settings from the last time you sync'd

Hope that helps you.

Oh, and another thing I did was to uninstall and reinstall iTunes (version 7.3)before any of the instructions above.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Be sure your phone is totally charged up before doing updates. Or hacks. Or anything that changes the flash.

I've known other devices that didn't write correctly because of slightly low voltage.

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
1 hour on phone with a very polite and sympathetic Apple guy.

Bottom line -- its restored and working and updated.

After trying a bunch of things, we went to the straight cabling without the dock mentioned above but that did not good.

Finally went to the old stand by of totally shutting down the Mac and restarting everythng.

That did the trick.

Oh his info also said to try a different USB port which we also did at the same time we restarted the Mac so who knows which contributed.

he never brought up the remove the SIM card mentioned above, but thanks for the tip.

So I'm back up and running. I ahve not synced yet, but i do see that I still have my favorites, Notes, Contacts, and even Stock list (Apple 154,5 today at close I see), so all I've lost is updateed and new contacts and new Notes since last sync which was a couple of weeks ago.

And NO PHOTOS -- which is a real pisser as I lost my football game pics from last week end.

Once again the ole frequent backup lesson bites me in thet arse.

Now to head home and if TIVO didn't record Survivor and CSI I'm really gonna be pissed. :(

SnkerHeAD

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
i need help! i just updated and now My iTunes is saying "The Sim Card insertred in this iPhone does not appear to be a Supported ATT Sim"

please someone Help me and my iPhone is Saying Invaid Sim. . .i hOpe my phone is Not Craped out! cause of the mods! that i took off . .

Dragoro

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
If you unlocked your phone and had the original sim card, and have a unusable phone now, Apple will do nothing to help you out. Im sure that the att and Apple stores have been warned bout people coming in with excuses why their phone wont work and will be checking to see if the phones were hacked before doing anything about it. Pretty much you have a 500 dollar paper weight.

ACIDMX

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
Honolulu
Trust me Ive tried everything it just doesn't want to restore.

Ive tried multiple computers with multiple iTunes versions.

I tried to restore to 1.1.1 and I get

When I try to downgrade it tells me theres an unknown error.

You think they will change it? I just don't know what to tell them. It just boots up into recovery.