Update? (no I'm not tell you there is a soon to be update)

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
its been a long time (or so it seems) since the last update, october 26 wasn't it? (or somewhere around there) its been over a month since that update and was just curious if anyone had heard rumors of a new update?

pab277

Aug 1, 2007
be patient, people have gotten so used to seeing an update EVERY month, that they expect a new update MUST come every month of the year. Just be happy you do get updates compared to all the other mobile phones on the market which get hardley or nothing at all. Im sure an update will come when it comes.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Well, you could argue that other phones on the market don't need updates as badly as the iPhone does.

They already HAVE stereo bluetooth, copy/paste, tethering, decent SMS and MMS and so forth. And with open development, they can mod to their heart's content.

;)

But yes, an update will surely come eventually.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Boy the rumor mill gets tiresome but... oh hell, here' my prediction: something enticing at least a couple weeks before Christmas.

So yeah, any day now.

...Or not, that's just the way it goes.

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
It would be pretty smart on Apple's part to come out with an update including one or two of the biggest things we're missing shortly before Christmas.

rondz

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Bay Area
It would be pretty smart on Apple's part to come out with an update including one or two of the biggest things we're missing shortly before Christmas.
Yeah an significant update would be awesome as a "gift" before Christmas or the day of.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
lol! I can imagine christmas gift updates are often discussed at large corporations. Not!

It's more likely to be driven by:

Embarrassing vulnerabilities? - nope, none glaring. They're working on mainstream QT ATM. Point against.
Competitor action - No one has gone public with an iPhone killer yet. Apple knows this is coming and will be saving dry powder for this. Point against.
Marketing need - sales are disappointing for Apple. A killer App release this week would be in time for some last minute Christmas push. - But can't see what that App would be. Anyone any ideas? - Neutral
Cost - Apple's still counting all the returns, weighing up policy and strategy. A new release costs big money because it causes a spike in support need. There's not going to be a cost-saving update unless there are serious bugs. The last thing Apple wants is to have 2m iPhone owners updating on Christmas day. Point against.

Three points against - one neutral. My money's on no update. At very best a benign bug-fix release in the next couple of days - or nothing until January 8

Sep 29, 2007
I think they are focusing more on there other rumors which I beilve to be true. They are working on a new Macbook for january with a new processor and of course the new iPhone which I was confirmed by an Apple Manager after he found out I knew much about. Also the SDK formating they are working on. An iPhone update shouldn't be that hard I mean look at all the installer.app creators. Sean Heber made 30 iPhone applications everyday for a month and look at Apple, they made a iTunes Music store in a few months. Sure its complex and would take more than a few days but with a large organization and very smart employees it isn't much of a task.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
I think they are focusing more on there other rumors which I beilve to be true. They are working on a new Macbook for january with a new processor and of course the new iPhone which I was confirmed by an Apple Manager after he found out I knew much about. Also the SDK formating they are working on. An iPhone update shouldn't be that hard I mean look at all the installer.app creators. Sean Heber made 30 iPhone applications everyday for a month and look at Apple, they made a iTunes Music store in a few months. Sure its complex and would take more than a few days but with a large organization and very smart employees it isn't much of a task.
I agree completely. But never underestimate the grass-growing paint-watching slowness of the large corporation.

iPaul

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
Minneapolis
YAWN... who even cares anymore. Any reasonable window for the long-ago promised functional updates has long since been pushed out to the point of being absurd.

Those of us who demand more functionality have got it within the mod community. Those that are happy with a semi-functioning status symbol stick with what's been given to them.

gijohn

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
This on MacRumors today.

1.1.3 set to arrive as early as this weekend. Commonly requested features such as voice memo recording and disk mode.

We shall see.

http://www.macrumors.com/

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
The last update was Nov. 8.

There are rumors going around that 1.1.3 is soon to come out; also to include voice memos and disk mode.

I don't believe it; 1.1.2 doesn't even have an OOTB jailbreak yet. Even if it does release, I highly doubt Memos and Disk Use. We'll see, though.

- John

gijohn

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
The last update was Nov. 8.

There are rumors going around that 1.1.3 is soon to come out; also to include voice memos and disk mode.

I don't believe it; 1.1.2 doesn't even have an OOTB jailbreak yet. Even if it does release, I highly doubt Memos and Disk Use. We'll see, though.

- John
Just out of curiosity ...... what don't you believe? Voice memo and disk mode? Why?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Just out of curiosity ...... what don't you believe? Voice memo and disk mode? Why?
Well, the same was believed for 1.1.2. Did we get it? No.

We only got 1.1.1 and iTunes because it was the major knock-outer for hacking.

Heck, maybe we'll get one of the two. But in my eyes, 1.1.3, Memos, and Disk Use all together in the next couple days is really unlikely.

Of course, I would have no problem with eating my words. ;)

- John

Well, the same was believed for 1.1.2. Did we get it? No.

We only got 1.1.1 and iTunes because it was the major knock-outer for hacking.

Heck, maybe we'll get one of the two. But in my eyes, 1.1.3, Memos, and Disk Use all together in the next couple days is really unlikely.

Of course, I would have no problem with eating my words. ;)

- John
Stay on a light diet just in case.

alienstout

Nov 30, 2007
All I want is the SDK out faster to developers and Flash in my browser. I can live without MMS and some of the other minor features. I need me some Flash though.

ja_vo

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Yeah an significant update would be awesome as a "gift" before Christmas or the day of.
yeah but what does that leave ppl that have apptap on their phones?

i would not update unless i know for sure that apptap works on it.
:cool: