Update on new iPhone

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
Nothing surprising, except the FM thing. I don't believe that part anyway.

Joe

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Even though this could just be someone playing with photoshop.. i remain optimistic

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
While I definitely won't complain about a 3.2-megapixel camera with an auto-focus lens, I was secretly hoping it would be the 5.0-megapixel sensor that was rumored a while ago to go into the next iPhone. However, anything will be better than what it has now. I have no use for FM radio, so I couldn't care less about this feature, though I'm all for more RAM and a faster processor to make things run more smoothly.

I'm guessing the new iPhone will be announced at WWDC in June like the 3G was, but it won't be available until July. If so, July can't get here soon enough! :D

|3are

Silver
Jun 13, 2008
Texas
Is anyone else disappointed by this particular link of rumors?

Last year when the 3G was coming out, many people with V1s decided to hold off on buying it because it wasn't THAT much of an upgrade. Well that's how I, as a 3G owner, would feel if all of this turned out to be true.

A compass? FM Radio? NO design changes?! Who gives a crap?

More disk space would be nice, but not necessary, which is the same way I feel about a slightly faster processor.

A little less than a year ago, everyone was hoping Apple would knock our socks off with the third version of the iPhone. This rumor makes it seem like they aren't going to do that.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Is anyone else disappointed by this particular link of rumors?

Last year when the 3G was coming out, many people with V1s decided to hold off on buying it because it wasn't THAT much of an upgrade. Well that's how I, as a 3G owner, would feel if all of this turned out to be true.

A compass? FM Radio? NO design changes?! Who gives a crap?

More disk space would be nice, but not necessary, which is the same way I feel about a slightly faster processor.

A little less than a year ago, everyone was hoping Apple would knock our socks off with the third version of the iPhone. This rumor makes it seem like they aren't going to do that.
As Napoleon says, this is all early days rumor stuff for now - but the two obvious disappointing things with this one, for me, are no mention of video recording capability, and nothing about battery improvements - which most recent rumors have included.

I'm not bothered if the form factor stays the same or very similar - and love the sound of a faster processor and doubled up RAM ...

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
I am a little saddened by the lack of a front facing camera from the rumor mill. There would be nothing cooler than being able to have the ability to see the party you are speaking to, just like skype on the pc. This latest rumor also makes no mention of hd capability and recording. The lack of oled talk is also upsetting, because that would be a triple whammy when it comes to an upgrade as it will improve thickness, screen quality and power usage.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
It's Me KNK

Remember, it is a rumor. We went through all this last year as well. No one here will know for certain until WWDC.
Nothing has changed in this forum since I left, still the same old wishes and waiting for new updates blah blah blah. But that's a good thing, keeps you going.

As for me I am on my 3rd glass of chardonnay and things look a little brighter.

I was on Twitter ( @KNK_DESIGN ) and guess who I ran into? Youngbinks (on his way to Vegas) and kokogirl, so they are the reason I am here.

Also how do I start a thread?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
KNK... great too see you man! Ready for a new iPhone? :)

I'll check you out in the twitterverse...

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
im disappointed, i want the next gen iPhone to be mind blowing, not just a general tune up

billnye97

Contributor
Silver
Jun 21, 2007
Cleveland
im disappointed, i want the next gen iPhone to be mind blowing, not just a general tune up
You certainly don't know Apple. General tune-ups are the mode of operation in that company. Look at how many friggin iPods there are out there. All just marginally better then the last.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
You certainly don't know Apple. General tune-ups are the mode of operation in that company. Look at how many friggin iPods there are out there. All just marginally better then the last.
if you ignore the iPod touch

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
While I definitely won't complain about a 3.2-megapixel camera with an auto-focus lens, I was secretly hoping it would be the 5.0-megapixel sensor that was rumored a while ago to go into the next iPhone. However, anything will be better than what it has now. I have no use for FM radio, so I couldn't care less about this feature, though I'm all for more RAM and a faster processor to make things run more smoothly.

I'm guessing the new iPhone will be announced at WWDC in June like the 3G was, but it won't be available until July. If so, July can't get here soon enough! :D

I'm with you. With apps like pandora and slacker radio, who cares about an FM transmitter?

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Another update http://www.appadvice.com/newiPhone.html
This sounds promising :)
* 32GB and 16GB storage (up from the current 16GB and 8GB models)
* $199 and $299 price points to be maintained
* 3.2-megapixel camera (up from the current 2-megapixel camera)
* Video-recording and editing capabilities
* Ability to send a picture & video via MMS
* Discontinuation of the metal band surrounding the edge of the device
* OLED screen
* 1.5 times the battery life of the current models
* Double the RAM and processing power
* Built-in FM transmitter
* Apple logo on back will glow
* Rubber-tread backing
* Sleeker design
* Built-in compass
* The camera, GPS, compass and Google map combined will identify photo and inform about photo locations
The thing I don't get is the FM transmitter. People keep thinking of it as an FM receiver but an FM transmitter is used to create FM signals for playback on a FM radio right?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Considering what a crapshoot it is to find an aftermarket transmitter that works properly with the iPhone, a built-in FM Transmitter would be pretty nice and inexpensive to implement. I wouldn't use it, but I bet a loooot of people would, and it would be a pretty unique feature to the iPhone brand.