Update Or Not?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

jUeLz23

Bronze
Sep 4, 2007
What does everything think, I cannot decide. I don't use much of the apps for maybe apollo and jus the dock and summer board.. advice please thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

tdefriez

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Unless

Unless you want to use the WiFi iTunes store then the other visible tweaks are minor - there are supposed to be a number of security improvements (I suspect the brick it one is the major one) - I would not if you want to use any 3rd party utilities.

Lester56

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007

1.1.1 works well for me. Although, I haven't hacked my iPhone, own a MAC laptop, and a Scion xB. (My world is Apple based)

If you own a PC, especially with Vista, stand on the railing of the highest bridge you can find, cut your wrists and jump off.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
I am only using summerboard and custom ringtones and those two things alone prevent me from updating to 1.1.1, oh, and I mean custom ring tones, not the select few that Apple offers on the iTunes (since I know someone will inevitably say - "Apple offers custom ringtones"). I will be holding off until the good guys finish breaking into 1.1.1 and we can then mod that version. =)

mido

Sep 21, 2007
I am only using summerboard and custom ringtones and those two things alone prevent me from updating to 1.1.1, oh, and I mean custom ring tones, not the select few that Apple offers on the iTunes (since I know someone will inevitably say - "Apple offers custom ringtones"). I will be holding off until the good guys finish breaking into 1.1.1 and we can then mod that version. =)
so, you're saying that iBrickr won't work with updated virsion? no way yet?

musicmanmu

Bronze
Aug 2, 2007
WV
I'm definitely waiting for 1.1.1 to be hacked. I'm so used to being able to customize the look and functionality of the iPhone, I can't imagine going back!

durkadurka

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
1.1.1 works well for me. Although, I haven't hacked my iPhone, own a MAC laptop, and a Scion xB. (My world is Apple based)

If you own a PC, especially with Vista, stand on the railing of the highest bridge you can find, cut your wrists and jump off.
That's one of the dumbest things I have read on this forum (and that is saying a lot.)

1. Nobody was talking about cars
2. Nobody was talking about OS X vs. Vista

He was asking opinions on if he should stick with modded 1.0.2 or go to 1.1.1

IMO stick with 1.0.2

1.1.1 offers nothing that great to ditch third party apps and the beauty of customization.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
so, you're saying that iBrickr won't work with updated virsion? no way yet?
Not a chance. And everything I've read is that it could take a long, long, time to get into 1.1.1. I don't mean the SIM unlock, that should be done within a few weeks.

But as far as jailbreaking 1.1.1 in order to add apps like 1.0.2, forget about it for the foreseeable future. It's a totally different animal.

So if you even think you might want to use third-party apps don't update. Yes, there are ways to downgrade to 1.0.2 if you do so, but if you want to avoid doing that down the road I suggest waiting to update.

The main thing I wanted from the iTunes store was the ability to download podcasts while on-the-go. Well it doesn't allow that, but a 3rd party app I now have installed does (MobileCast). Pretty ironic, actually.

--
Mike

Lester56

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Durkadurka,

No he typed, "what yall think i cant decide .
i don't use much of the apps for maybe apollo and jus the dock and summer board.. advice please.. thanks
"

My comment was based on iPhone unhacked, his is obviously hacked; although he uses only a few 3rd party apps. My comment was to demonstrate that he may wish to restore back and then upgrade. Maybe I should've been more verbose.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Durkadurka,

No he typed, "what yall think i cant decide .
i don't use much of the apps for maybe apollo and jus the dock and summer board.. advice please.. thanks
"

My comment was based on iPhone unhacked, his is obviously hacked; although he uses only a few 3rd party apps. My comment was to demonstrate that he may wish to restore back and then upgrade. Maybe I should've been more verbose.
Actually, you could have said that in half the number of words. I'm still puzzled what the car and the Windows jab had to do with the price of lead in China. ;)

--
Mike

durkadurka

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
Actually, you could have said that in half the number of words. I'm still puzzled what the car and the Windows jab had to do with the price of lead in China. ;)

--
Mike
Exactly

Tinman is about one of the only decent contributors on this site.

Clayfree

Jul 3, 2007

Shouldn't you own a Prius of a Jetta