Update through iTunes and keep unlock?

Discussion in 'Jailbreak Archives' started by dvigue, Nov 4, 2009.

1. dvigue

dvigue Member
    Bronze

I just read over on another website that people with the 2g's on OS 3.0, if already unlocked and jailbroken can just update through iTunes and keek there unlock? since the baseband is no longer upgraded on the iPhone 2g.

is this true? if so, then i can take my unlocked and jailbroken (which was done on windows with redsn0w) and just hit update in iTunes, and i will be good to go?

2. psylichon

psylichon Genius

I've never heard that. I wouldn't chance it.

Then again, I really know very little about unlocking.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

blacksn0w doesn't support the iPhone 2G/V1. Restore and update to 3.1.2 in iTunes, jailbreak and hacktivate with blackra1n, and use BootNeuter to unlock.

4. wd_stroke

wd_stroke New Member
    Bronze

This is what I did to get 3.1.4 on my 2G

PwnageTool 3.1.4 has been released and is for Mac OS X users only. The following step-by-step tutorial/guide will help you in running fully unlocked and jailbroken iPhone 2G with iPhone firmware 3.1.2 using your Windows PC without having to wait for Windows version of PwnageTool or redsn0w.

Step 1: Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest version of iTunes.

Step 2: Now connect your iPhone with your PC. You must connect it to a single usb port on the backside of your computer. Do not use any usb hub or the ports in the front as this could result in an error during update process.

Step 3: Start iTunes. Sync your iPhone with your PC so that iTunes backs-up all your important data including settings, apps, music, contacts and photos.

Step 4: As a Windows user, you will have to now download a custom firmware for your iPhone which has been cooked on a Mac using PwnageTool 3.1.4.

NOTE: Your iPhone must be jailbroken atleast on 3.0 for this to work.