Update to 5.1 - Unknown Error (11)

Discussion in 'iPhone 3GS' started by Parry, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Parry

Parry New Member

Hi,

I have a 3GS Factory Unlocked running on iOS 4.1.

I went for 5.1 update for the device but it stopped with the following error message:

On clicking more information tab in the error message was directed to the following page:

iOS: Resolving update and restore alert messages

Got out of DFU Mode & the device rebooted to normal. On again updating the device got the same error message.

I had updated my iTunes to 10.6 prior to connecting the device.

Pls assist resolving the issue.

2. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Have you tried doing a restore to new then attempting to upgrade?

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Did you disable your antivirus, unplug all USB devices and reboot the computer?

4. Parry

Parry New Member

Thanks Rugaby & Europa for your replies.

I would like to add that I have ipsw file [iPhone2,1_5.1_9B176_Restore] already downloaded on my PC, hence doing a Shift+Update.

a) No, I hv'nt tried doing a restore. Can I use Shift+Restore?

b) I did not disable the antivirus but yes had unplugged all my USB devices including mouse & had rebooted the computer before trying it out the second time.

Hv'nt been able to figure out the exact nature of the error?

5. Parry

Parry New Member

Disabled antivirus, used another USB port & tried doing a restore [shift+restore] but still no luck; got the same message.

Now;
    1) Could it be possible that its something got to do with the downloaded ipsw? Can you pls assist with some reliable links for downloading the iOS 5.1 for 3GS.

2) I just checked JVM is not installed on the notebook. Could this be one of the reasons?

3) Is it possible to do a restore as new with any other notebook than the one with last synced iTunes?

Actually, I have been using the device with my notebook until I got 4S and passed 3GS on to one of my family members & have syncing the device with the other notebook.

6. applejosh

applejosh Member
    Bronze

I would re-download the ipsw file. I've had corrupted downloads before, and weird errors/behaviors ensue. I don't have links handy for downloading the files from Apple, but they around (I can think of another iOS fan site that has them, but it seems in bad taste to post that link).

7. Parry

Parry New Member

Thanks Applejosh for your reply. Had it in mind have downloaded another ipsw but on checking the Hash the earlier also looked fine.

Further, Googling around for Error 11 have found numerous reasons from baseband to hosts files to PC hardware. Can't really jot down to a single one.

Just hope to hear from one of Genius or Mods of the board for further assistance.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Just press the restore button in iTunes. Don't do a shift+restore. It will download the firmware again (if your 5.1 ipsw is not in your iTunes folder). It's fine to restore it on another computer.

9. Parry

Parry New Member

Thanks Europa for your reply. Will try with these two options & update.

For my info: I read some where else on the net & also on Apple Support that this error could be because of the hosts file found in OS of your PC. And by deleting the line "gs.apple.com" could help resolving the issue. As I just checked my notebook on which I had updated this device to 4.1 last year has two hosts files; one with type as 'File' & the other with type as 'Umbrella File' (I guess tinyumbrella).

Now, on the system hosts file i.e, one with type as 'File' in the last two lines, I have:
    #74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    #127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com

on the other hosts file i.e, one with type as 'Umbrella File' in the last two lines, I have:
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    #127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com

Which should ideally be the right case with the hosts file?

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You need to have the Cydia server address commented out (# sign preceding the address) if you're updating to the latest firmware. It can't have the # if you're restoring to outdated firmware. You'll get error 3194 if it's wrong. Unchecking the box that says 'Set hosts to Cydia on exit' in Tiny Umbrella and then closing the program will set it back to where it needs to be to restore to the current firmware.

11. Parry

Parry New Member

I just checked the hosts file on the notebook I am using for update. Similar to my notebook, it had two hosts files; one with type as 'File' & the other with type as 'Umbrella File'.

Now, both the hosts files 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com has not been commented out. Its without the # sign preceding the address. Could this be the issue?

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes.

1. Open TinyUmbrella, UNCHECK 'Set host to Cydia on exit', click 'Apply changes', close TinyUmbrella and reboot.
    2. Do a regular restore in iTunes, not a shift+restore. Let it download the firmware again if it needs to.

13. Parry

Parry New Member

Thanks Europa for your reply.

Got my device into DFU Mode manually & hit restore. Alas, its done!

Prior to doing that, I tried to save the blobs for the 3Gs but surprisingly am only able to get blobs of 4.1 & 4.3.1, which I have already. Why not for 5.1?

FYI: With "Request SHSH From Cydia" set.

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You're welcome. It can take a while for a newly-requested SHSH to show up.

15. Parry

Parry New Member

So I should try after some days?

Any takes on 5.1 for 4S Factory Unlocked Non-JB running on 5.0.1? To go for it or not?

Secondly, I activated the iMessage on 3GS. Then tried sending an iMessage from my 4S (5.0.1) but the blue send button did'nt show up for 3GS. It was showing 'Text Message' & normal green send button.

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Just give it some time. The SHSH will eventually show up. You don't need it right now anyway. 5.1 is the current firmware so you can restore to it without an SHSH.

It's fine to update the 4S to 5.1 if you don't want to jailbreak it. If you want to jailbreak it, stay on 5.0.1.

Go to Settings > Messages > Receive At - is your phone number showing up there?