Update to iOS6 failed - what to do?

Jon12345

Bronze
Nov 11, 2009
I tried to update my iPhone to iOS6 but it failed. Now my phone just shows the white cable pointing to iTunes image. I have the option to Restore and Update. But it says I will lose my media and other data. It says I can restore calendar etc. afterward but it doesn't state media.

I don't find this popup very informative.

If I click Restore and Update, will I get my phone back to exactly as before?

Thanks,

Jon

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
You will be fine. Do the restore. Keep phone connected. When your setting the phone back up & come to the part where you set up as new or restore from backup do restore from backup, obviously not iCloud. It takes awhile but it works. I did the same thing & lost nothing because it does a backup before it even tries to install the update.

Jon12345

Bronze
Nov 11, 2009
I did the Restore and now I am on iOS6 with none of my data. What happened?

I did restore from backup. It failed twice.

What happens if I click the Retore button again? Will it give me an option of restoring from backup? Do the backups ever get overwritten?

Last edited by a moderator:

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
What do you mean it failed? Did you get some sort of error or did it just take forever? It can be time consuming.

Jon12345

Bronze
Nov 11, 2009
I restored it successfuly now. I right mouse clicked on my iPhone entry in the left column in iTunes and chose Restore from backup. Phew!