Update to software 2.0 without Sync?

Link971

Aug 21, 2007
Ok, here's my problem: About a month and a half ago, my laptop's hard-drive crashed. All my information, kaput. To make a long story short, is there a way for me to upgrade my iPhone to software 2.0 without syncing to iTunes? I'm afraid to even connect my phone to another computer, since the first thing it's going to do is erase all the information on the phone and replace it with what is on the computer. Any ideas?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I think you're going to have to sync with iTunes. I don't think there's another way to get it.

Sorry :(

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Ok, here's my problem: About a month and a half ago, my laptop's hard-drive crashed. All my information, kaput. To make a long story short, is there a way for me to upgrade my iPhone to software 2.0 without syncing to iTunes? I'm afraid to even connect my phone to another computer, since the first thing it's going to do is erase all the information on the phone and replace it with what is on the computer. Any ideas?
If you do a quick search, there are several tools that will pull your info from you phone (music, etc)... I don't remember off the top of my head, but they do exist.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
If your phone has all your information but you have another computer where you've installed iTunes but never synced your phone to it, you can go into the Preferences of iTunes, select the Sync option and disable automatic syncing of all iPods and iPhones. That way, when you connect the phone, it won't try to sync it unless you click one of the Sync buttons within the iPhone device tabs. You can even turn off individual items to be sync'd on each of the tabs when you click on the iPhone.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
If your phone has all your information but you have another computer where you've installed iTunes but never synced your phone to it, you can go into the Preferences of iTunes, select the Sync option and disable automatic syncing of all iPods and iPhones. That way, when you connect the phone, it won't try to sync it unless you click one of the Sync buttons within the iPhone device tabs. You can even turn off individual items to be sync'd on each of the tabs when you click on the iPhone.
but the new update wipes you and you start from scratch.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
but the new update wipes you and you start from scratch.
Good point. You will lose your music and videos during the upgrade so if you're not on your computer with your iTunes library, you won't be able to get your music back.

marklynn70

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Oldsmar, Florida
www.myspace.com
Just be sure and perform a back up when ever you do hook back up to a PC, then perform firmware update, then back up your phone data with your the previously saved back up. Everything should work out.