Updated Cydia Apps, iPhone Became Unusable

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by riffdex, Jul 28, 2012.

1. riffdex

riffdex Member
    Bronze

I have a major problem with my iPhone. Earlier today I went into Cydia and clicked to update all apps. It had about 6 updates available, one of which I noticed was mobile substrate. I don't update Cydia apps frequently because "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Well after the phone rebooted to apply the changes, my phone was noticeable slower. I chalked it up to lag from just being booted up. I then went to the AppStore to update all my apps. (about 20 updates - I don't update on a regular basis for the same reasons). The downloads started and the phone got way slower. I couldn't even swipe between pages anymore, but all the icons said "loading" that we're being updated. Progress was moving, but slowly. And the phone got noticeably hot after a few mins. Since I couldn't make the phone respond, I just figured I'd leave it be and let it finish updating all the apps and it would speed back up. Well before really any of the apps got updated it just turned off. I rebooted it and it's just as extremely slow as it was and it seems every time I reboot the phone it is still trying to install all those apps and it is completely unusable. I really could use some help with this! Thank you...

2. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Were u doing the updates over 3G? Of so, that can make your device work hard and cause excessive heat buildup.
    That can take a long time if you have quite a few.....
    Best case scenario is to be on WiFi and just let it do it's thing, either fully charged or on the charging cable.
    You should be fine once the updates are complete.
    I generally try to update as soon as I see they are available, partially to avoid such a backlog.....

3. riffdex

riffdex Member
    Bronze

I was using Wifi

Well that's the last time I update Cydia apps. Phone was working perfectly but I update mobile substrate and my phone gets completely f'd. Took a lot of work getting it back. (I had to boot holding volume up button (this disables mobile substrate completely) so I could uninstall substrate and install fresh.) Now that I have it on correctly, I will not again be updating such a crucial part of the system, that appears to be working just fine.

4. riffdex

riffdex Member
    Bronze

Honestly it seems like everytime i update a crucial part of the system on my phone, it completely messes up. This has happened multiple times in iOS and Android. It seems like Cydia constantly has errors when i try to use it. Personally i don't see the need to constantly update something that you ought to depend on working when something goes wrong. If something goes majorly wrong when updating your "failsafe" program, youre device must be restored and you lose all your data. Ironic that the software meant to protect my device is actually doing just the opposite /:

5. fijiman

fijiman Contributor
    Silver

I always update my Cydia apps promptly... to avoid problems you have.... I can track and identify any apps that may conflict with other apps early.......and either remove or message the app author for a possible fix....

Updating Cydia apps/tweaks is a good thing as new features may be added and better cross compatibility with other apps.....