Updated EDGE

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
so somebody earlier said they noticed a speed increase in their PDA on AT&T wireless. Has anyone else experienced a noticeable difference?
I used my EDGE phone all weekend to surf the web and I didn't notice any difference in speed. And like Walt Mossberg says in his review, It's very slow. Not as slow as GPRS, but extremely slow compared to broadband.

Saiko

Bronze
Jun 3, 2007
apparently, someone in their review (I can't remember if it was mossberg or pogue..) said that it takes around 100 seconds to open amazon.

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
I used my EDGE phone all weekend to surf the web and I didn't notice any difference in speed. And like Walt Mossberg says in his review, It's very slow. Not as slow as GPRS, but extremely slow compared to broadband.
did you do it out of necessity or because even on EDGE it's still an enjoyable experience?

i guess my question is, will EDGE make the internet unusable?

theraker007

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
i wonder how edge compares to verizons EV (or whatever it is for vcast). At the very least, streaming video comes in well on my verizon phone, youtube should run well if its at least that fast.

if those reports on how long it takes ot open a website is true, then the iPhone is going to flop.. i pray its not true.. peopel will get really angry with that after the hype

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
i wonder how edge compares to verizons EV (or whatever it is for vcast). At the very least, streaming video comes in well on my verizon phone, youtube should run well if its at least that fast.

if those reports on how long it takes ot open a website is true, then the iPhone is going to flop.. i pray its not true.. peopel will get really angry with that after the hype
Yeah, those times are wacky, and that's even with the Safari browser (which seems to load faster than any other browser, to me)

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
EV-DO is about five times as fast as EDGE. EVDO Rev A, which is out in many places, is about 25 times as fast if you have the right device. We're talking well above 1 Mbps.

Still, I remember surfing wirelessly at only about 15Kbps, which was far less than most modems at the time. It gives you plenty of time to think about other things

:laugh2:

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
Remember iPhone will default to WiFi where available. The reports all say that WiFi is much mich faster than EDGE on the iPhone.

I know I just reset up the WiFi at my house to make sure I can use WiFi with my iPhone. No WiFi at work though, but I suspect that will change once the boss gets his iPhone, hehehe.

- SR

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Remember iPhone will default to WiFi where available. The reports all say that WiFi is much mich faster than EDGE on the iPhone.

I know I just reset up the WiFi at my house to make sure I can use WiFi with my iPhone. No WiFi at work though, but I suspect that will change once the boss gets his iPhone, hehehe.

- SR

What i'm kinda wondering is how you will handle things like WEP and possibly MAC filtering? I'm assuming that the wireless adapter in the phone will have a MAC address assigned to it. I just hope it will be easily accessible from a menu or something. I have a wireless router in my house, but it has WEP enabled.

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
apparently, someone in their review (I can't remember if it was mossberg or pogue..) said that it takes around 100 seconds to open amazon.
I just opened amazon.com on my BB using Opera mini in about 7 seconds. Use to take over a minute. So I think the Edge network here in Orlando has already been upgraded.