Updates on iPad 1

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

JaniceH

Bronze
Sep 6, 2010
I was wondering if anyone knows if you can update the IPad 1 to the new OS 5 when it comes out . Thought I read somewhere you can't .. I am thinking of buying a used one but don't want to if I can't update it . Thanks ..

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I was wondering if anyone knows if you can update the IPad 1 to the new OS 5 when it comes out . Thought I read somewhere you can't .. I am thinking of buying a used one but don't want to if I can't update it . Thanks ..
You will be able to update to iOS 5 when it's released to the general public. Hopefully it'll be soon because there is going to be a new iPhone in a couple of weeks.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
It will run iOS 5 but will not have all the features that the iPad 2 will. For instance, no AirPlay Mirroring and no Photo Stream or any of the camera-related enhancements. No multitasking gestures either I think.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I've had my iPad 2 jailbroken and honestly it did nothing for me whatsover. There were very few tweaks I thought added much value for me, and it made the iPad a little less stable. I'd far rather stick with stock and iOS 5.
That's fair enough, I jailbreak mainly for SBSettings. I so hope they add it to the Notification Center in a 5.* update.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I don't know if there is any difference. I used Redsn0w, but used Xcode to install on a friend's. Haven't played with that one to see if it differs in any way. This has been a lifesaver since my Home Button is acting up.
There isn't a differenc they're both exactly the same. The gestures are great, I love launching the multitasking bar with a swipe up.

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
There isn't a differenc they're both exactly the same. The gestures are great, I love launching the multitasking bar with a swipe up.
I guess that would be right since the function is in the iOS and just activated through 2 different means.
I know. I am constantly trying to close Apps on my iPhone by swiping, er, pinching! :ROFLMAO:

greasemuntney

Bronze
Apr 4, 2010
Alabama
I see no reason why they would not let the 1st gen ipad have gestures. I have been running it on mine with 4.3.3. and everything is great. Very useful add-on and hope they put it out active for the ipad 1st gen too.