updating and jailbreaking iPod touch 1st gen ?

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
so i have my friends ipod touch, and he wants me to jailbreak it. no big deal i've jailbroken numerous iPhones. i went on to check his firmware and he is running 1.1.5, so i went on youtube and found how to get the upgrade for free for 2.0, 2.1, and 2.2. i'm just wondering if there is any preference for which firmware he uses (he just wants the app store) as far as which is best for jailbreaking (if any is better). i tried searching but nothing really addressed this topic completely. also when i download the ipsw firmware file, it won't allow me to click on it to update it when i click option + update in iTunes (on a mac) and when i unzip the file there are a bunch of files in the folder.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
Send me a PM when you get it updated to 2.2. I would like to know how you got it to work. I would try and get it to update and then jailbreak it. I would appreciate it if you could let me oboe how you yetbit to work. I haven't had any luck with the same thing your attempting to do.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
well i figured it out, wasn't the hardest thing ever, but wasn't the simplest either. basically what i had to do was this.

- download ipod firmware 2.0 via a torrent site (pm me for a link as i believe it is against forum policy to post this) ZIP FILES WILL NOT WORK!
- once it is downloaded and updated, iTunes will prompt to update to 2.2 for free, do this.
- once updated download quickpwn 2.2 (if you don't already have it) www.quickpwn.com
- run quickpwn, and select the ipod touch instead of iPhone
- it will run through and you will have a jailbroken ipod touch running 2.2 firmware that you didn't have to pay for.

*note, this is for 1st gen ipod touch, i cannot confirm if this will work on 2nd gen*

hope that helps some of you

ThunderBull4

Bronze
Jul 28, 2008
2.2 wuld be the best, simply because when new firmwares come out, it's because they have less glitches in them. You also have your app store in that.