Updating iPhone 5s error 50 + 18

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

bikerboy

Bronze
Jun 20, 2009
Ohio, USA
hello all
while trying to update a friends 5s to 9.0.2 i continued to get errors 50 and 18
itunes is latest version , tried restarting laptop and iPhone , nothing seems to get me past it, the phone refuse to restore and have the connect to iTunes sign when turned on , please help , best regards .

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It doesn't let me do anything as it always in " connect to iTunes ".
That means you haven't correctly put it in DFU mode. The screen will go black once it's in DFU. It can be a little tricky with the timing, so watch some videos on how to put it in DFU mode and try it until you get it right. You'll see a popup in iTunes once it in.

bikerboy

Bronze
Jun 20, 2009
Ohio, USA
I did that, it started restoring iPhone software after like 55% bar filled on the iPhone screen, I got error " phone can't be restored unknown error 50 "
Help me :p

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Are you using a different USB port and a different Lightning cable? If switching those doesn't help, delete the firmware file and download it again. If you still get error 50, try restoring on a different computer.

bikerboy

Bronze
Jun 20, 2009
Ohio, USA
I actually went a head and changed the laptop and the cable just incase and currently downloading the update once more.
Keeping my hopes up , I'll find out if it works out by the morning :p

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Still getting the same error using other laptop and other cable with fresh download, send the rescue dogs please.
Are you putting it in DFU mode on the other laptop? Are you certain it's actually in DFU mode? This is crucial. Low-number error codes like that must have the iPhone correctly placed in DFU to resolve.