Updating to 3.0 with a friends phone...

macscac

Bronze
Jun 17, 2009
so a coworker wants to update to 3.0 and i thought id help him out.
he doesn't have a computer. (wtf? its 2009)

but what will happen if i connect him to my iTunes?
i don't want it to jack up anything i have for my own iPhone.

do i just plug it in and let it go?
im assuming it will try to backup prior to install and i don't want his backup to become my backup.

any suggestions?
thanks
c

Kuntry

Bronze
Mar 26, 2009
Las Vegas
i would say the first thing to do would be to disable automatic syncing in iTunes then connect your friends phone (the phone will say sync in progress for a few seconds to let iTunes identify the device) and on the iPhone screen in iTunes just click upgrade...do not click restore or his stuff will be deleted but just doing an upgrade works fine...just DO NOT SYNC! I did this with my buddy's phone when 3.0 GM was released and i had no problems all his Apps and contacts and everything were still there. Then get your technology impaired friend to buy you lunch! :laugh2:

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
The only thing I'd make sure doesn't happen is your iTunes account gets put on his phone. You can view the account information on the phone after you do the upgrade to make sure it's his iTunes account that is associated with the phone.

Kuntry

Bronze
Mar 26, 2009
Las Vegas
The only thing I'd make sure doesn't happen is your iTunes account gets put on his phone. You can view the account information on the phone after you do the upgrade to make sure it's his iTunes account that is associated with the phone.
Ditto. And if your iTunes account info appears in the Setting>Store section, just log out and have your friend sign into his account from the same screen.

macscac

Bronze
Jun 17, 2009
if i just tell him to go to Apple, will they do it for him?

macscac

Bronze
Jun 17, 2009
What if I created a second user on vista. Logged into that and installed iTunes. Then would there be any chance of getting our info mixed up?

Kuntry

Bronze
Mar 26, 2009
Las Vegas
What if I created a second user on vista. Logged into that and installed iTunes. Then would there be any chance of getting our info mixed up?
You don't need to do that but if it makes you feel safer then by all means. if you do that and you sync your buddy's phone, he will lose everything he has on it. Like I said before, if you make sure to disable automatic syncing in iTunes (go to Edit>Preferences then click Devices tab then make sure "Disable Automatic Syncing for iPods and iPhones" is checked) you can then plug in your buddy's phone and when it appears on the main screen in iTunes click "update" it will only update his phone (DO NOT click restore). it will leave your info alone on your computer and it will leave all of his apps/settings/contacts etc. alone on his phone. you both walk away happy. after its updated, on the iPhone go to settings>store and make sure it doesn't have your iTunes account info in there and you're all set. if it does, just tap sign out.

EDIT: IF you do create a new user on your PC and install iTunes on that new user account, you STILL HAVE TO make sure to disable automatic syncing.