Updating to iOS 6 from 5.1.1

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by TarekElsakka, Sep 28, 2012.

1. TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka Genius
    Gold

Hello there,

My Dad asked me if I can update his iPhone from iOS 5.1.1 to iOS 6. I told him that I'm going to try. I connected his iPhone to my computer and as it turns out iTunes wants me to either set up as a new phone or restore from backup, and of course I cannot pick either one as I want to keep the data on the phone.

He has so many contacts, messages, photos, etc. that I'd definitely like to keep untouched, so does anyone have a solution for this? I just want to do a direct update without setting it up as a new phone or whatever.

Any ideas? I jailbroke his iPhone a couple of days ago, by the way, just in case that could be helpful somehow. And yes, I'm aware that iOS 6 is not jailbreakable as of yet, and that's okay because he never likes to jailbreak anyway. (I did it by force). haha

Thank you very much, guys. Appreciate the info in advance. :D

2. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

Well if it wasn't jail broke I would say just do a backup and then restore from the backup but being jail broken I'm thinking the only backup you have is from before the jail break. Maybe you can back it all up to iCloud first. At least save some of the info.

3. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I'd do an iCloud backup, then restore to iOS 6 then restore from the iCloud. I recommend that you leave the phone near a good wifi connection so that it can re-download all the apps and data back to the phone. :)

4. TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka Genius
    Gold

I don't think I can go for an iCloud backup as he has a lot of data and the upload speeds over here are horrendous, it'd take days!

Any other solution?

Docd I don't get it. Why is it that you can backup a non-jailbroken device but not a jailbroken one? I used to backup my jailbroken 2, 3G, 3GS, and 4 devices all the time with no problems whatsoever, but the only difference is that they were usually synced with my computer in the first place whereas my Dad's phone is not synced with any computer, or at least none at my house.

5. flightmedic

flightmedic Member
    Bronze

You can backup from a jailbroken phone. When I upgraded to iOS6 I set up from my backup. No issues except for battery drain issues, but from what I've read, this is happening to non-JB phone as well.

The only difference between the backups, is the JB info and data is not saved in the backup. All other data, games, apps, and info is saved and can be restored.

6. brdmsd

brdmsd Member
    Bronze

You can do the upgrade from the phone itself by going to Settings>General>Software Update. You don't have to connect to s computer to do this. No data will be lost or changed. A wi-fi connection will speed the process.

7. flightmedic

flightmedic Member
    Bronze

Can you do the OTA update over cellular data?

8. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

This will keep all phone data, but lose your jailbreak. I'm confused, why don't you back up to computer, update to iOS 6, then restore from backup? You'll keep ALL his data by doing this. That's why I did, didn't lose a thing.

9. flightmedic

flightmedic Member
    Bronze

Not the JB data. JB data will be lost when he upgrades to a non-JB iOS.

Everything I've read points to the OTA not working with the JB phones. info at the bigboss repo recommends updating through iTunes.

Jim