Upgradable or not?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
May 12, 2007
Hey all...this is one very intruiging question! Will...or a better word would be should the iPhone be upgradable? Upgradable as in features...incase any newer models are developed...wouldn it be better to just upgrade than buy a whole new iPhone! It definitely would be more cost effective! Tell me your views on this...or if you have any info to share bout this

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
As ColsTiger pointed out, the software is upgradeable. In fact, Apple has stated that many new software based features will be offered to existing customers for free. As with iPods, firmware will be easily upgraded via iTunes (a great feature that is seldom talked about).

Third party companies may offer limited hardware upgrades. I would not be surprised if larger capacity batteries and maybe even increased memory were available. We will have to wait and see what happens on this front before we will know if it is worth the $.

IMHO, the only reason to buy a new iPhone is for new hardware based features (like 3G, GPS, etc.).

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
IMHO, the only reason to buy a new iPhone is for new hardware based features (like 3G, GPS, etc.).
I agree with your HO. :) Also, for larger storage which I think is the #1 request, at least of the feature set we know about.

May 6, 2007
United States
Yes, I think 3G is definitely one of the main concerns at this point. I would guess that the next version will be 3G, but, unfortunately, it's not an easy upgrade.

There will definitely be software updates, most of which free, but hardware would be a tough upgrade. With this type of thing, it is so tightly packed and sleek that it would be very hard to just stick more memory or a better battery in.

Maybe Apple will have a trade-in policy where you could trade in your old iPhone for a discount on a newer version, though. You never know.