upgrade disaster, lost contacts!

DHTPHTG34

Dec 30, 2007
I lost my contacts that took years to gather, i always back them up first in iTunes when i first open them up. However, after the 3.1 problem i had and once i got that solved and i synched, i had no contacts. I tried restoring several times, but no contacts.

Are they saved in a backup file somewhere and if so, how can i retrieve them. They were never saved in MS Outlook.

please help me!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Restoring from a backup in iTunes should put them back on the phone. Relying on the iTunes backups for your contacts is dangerous though. What if you have to restore to factory settings? Always back them up somewhere else, like Google/Gmail, Yahoo, MobileMe, Outlook, etc.

GABERMAN707

Bronze
Aug 14, 2009
Restoring from a backup in iTunes should put them back on the phone. Relying on the iTunes backups for your contacts is dangerous though. What if you have to restore to factory settings? Always back them up somewhere else, like Google/Gmail, Yahoo, MobileMe, Outlook, etc.
how do you back up with something other than iTunes, such as yahoo?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
There is an option in iTunes, under contacts, to sync with Yahoo or Google.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
Ugh, that's awful. This always makes me sick when I read these stories, especially because I've been there. Folks, always, always, always, always backup your important stuff both online and hard copy. I burn stuff to CDs/DVDs, a 32GB thumb drive, and with Time Machine, after I lost most of my formerly huge music and movie collection.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
I lost my laptop due to a hard drive crash last month so I'm a little paranoid about backing up everything so it doesn't happen again or when it does I'll have my data current.

This is the worst case scenario I came up with : I drop and destroy my iPhone because I get so upset when I find out my laptop was stolen.

I asked what files or programs I needed to have a backup of so I could go buy another WINDOWS VISTA laptop, install iTunes, get a new iPhone and get everything back to how I had it before the disastrous day and I got this answer :

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

I'm still not sure if this folder includes the data in this other folder : C:\users\USERNAME\music\iTunes so I copy it too when I do my DAILY backup to an external hard drive and to a flash card always plugged into my laptop.

I also have my contacts, notes, and calendar synced with Outlook 2007 and then every few days I sync Outlook 2007 to my TREO in case I break my iPhone I can take the SIM card out and keep using my TREO with all the info.

I told you I was paranoid :sneaky:. I lost lots of my family pictures when I lost the hard drive on my other laptop and that's not going to happen again. I hope this helps you in the future.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
oh cool thanks... so does it sync both to your iTunes and yahoo?
This method doesn't really store them in iTunes, it stores them in the Yahoo account, and it's done through iTunes. If the phone needs to be restored to factory settings, you can sync them back onto the phone by checking sync contacts with Yahoo and then signing into the Yahoo account. It will only sync them to the Yahoo account as often as you sync your phone in iTunes, and it will do it automatically every time you sync as long as you check the box.

MobileMe is better because it pushes them to all of your other devices (computers other phones) instantaneously and wirelessly, but it's not free.

GABERMAN707

Bronze
Aug 14, 2009
This method doesn't really store them in iTunes, it stores them in the Yahoo account, and it's done through iTunes. If the phone needs to be restored to factory settings, you can sync them back onto the phone by checking sync contacts with Yahoo and then signing into the Yahoo account. It will only sync them to the Yahoo account as often as you sync your phone in iTunes, and it will do it automatically every time you sync as long as you check the box.

MobileMe is better because it pushes them to all of your other devices (computers other phones) instantaneously and wirelessly, but it's not free.
i'm on a mac... and my iTunes backs up my contacts every time i sync. however, i have not checked off either the yahoo or google. i have done several restores already and it never wiped out my contacts... so is this yahoo like an additional sync? i'm getting confused... haha sorry. i do appreciate all the help though!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yes, it is an additional backup. I do not recommend relying on the iTunes backups because at some point you may have to restore to factory settings, the computers hard drive might crash, or the backup may be corrupt and not work.

This method saves them in the Yahoo account, not on your computer, which is much safer.

Once you set it up, it will do both automatically (create backups and sync to Yahoo) through iTunes.