Upgrade eligibility frequency?

Torinate

Bronze
Sep 19, 2009
Hello there.

How often are you eligible for an upgrade?

I know different providers may have different lengths.

I'm in Ontario. 3 years. It's also the same price then as a new customer would get. No loyalty reward what so ever. Pretty disappointing if you ask me.

Could I sign up with a US provider and use my Canadian number? What are the international plans like cost wise?

Trying to get an idea of all my options.

Thanks

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
AT&T is every 24 months unless you pay your bill fully and on time every month then it is anywhere from 18 to 23 months. I don't think you can have an US carrier and a Canadian number though.

Torinate

Bronze
Sep 19, 2009
Thanks.

yes, bill comes out auto
Automatically.

verwon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 29, 2011
Seattle
That is correct, it doesn't work. You can't get a Canadian number on a U.S. carrier, or vice-versa.

Even for the earlier upgrade, the roaming charges you'd pay to always be using a U.S. carrier in Canada would be ridiculous, so you might as well just buy a phone off-contract.

Sprint is now on an every 22 month upgrade cycle.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
AT&T is every 24 months unless you pay your bill fully and on time every month then it is anywhere from 18 to 23 months. I don't think you can have an US carrier and a Canadian number though.
Or 12 months as a lot of us got this time

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
My eligibility upgrade was 12 months also. I thought the ongoing theory was that monthly bills in excess of so much received an earlier upgrade of 12 months, either that or random AT&T decisions that have no sensible thought process to them what so ever.

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app

dorrien12

Bronze
Oct 13, 2011
AT&T changed that this year, every
20 months.

Torinate

Bronze
Sep 19, 2009
Wow! 12 months.

Anyone here on Bell in Canada? What's your time frame? I'm with Rogers and they're not very rewarding to longtime customers. I've with them since the Cantel days back in 1990 and they still want the 3 years or pay the penalty. I'm over 2 years already...

Thanks

Gailco

Sep 27, 2011
I am with Bell in Ontario.... after 2 yrs of a 3 yr contract if you renew you can upgrade for $159. At 1 yr it is $259 with renewal.

rambo47

Contributor
Silver
Apr 4, 2010
Northern NJ
Sprint has changed their policy recently on upgrades, which blows. Currently it's:
1-year: $75 off retail.
2-years: $150 off retail.

They used to have a program called Sprint Premier. Eligibility was based on your monthly phone bill. If you were paying above a certain amount they were very generous, offering a full upgrade every 12 months. They also offered Premier Status to customers with a 10-year history regardless of the plan you were on.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Full subsidation ($450 discount) is 18 months for AT&T customers on a single plan, but they just dropped it to 17 months for those who upgraded to an iPhone 4 in June 2010. It's 12 months for family plans or those who pay more than $100 (before taxes) for their monthly bill.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Am I Eligible for an AT&T Cell Phone Upgrade?
Not all AT&T Wireless customers may qualify for a cell phone upgrade. At this time, AT&T Wireless allows these customers to upgrade with no upgrade fee when they commit to a new 2-year contract:
  • AT&T customers who have had 24 months of cell phone service since activation of their cell phone or since their last phone upgrade.
Certain AT&T customers may be eligible for a cell phone upgrade even if they have been in their current plan for less than two years (24 months), if they commit to a new 2-year contract and meet these eligibility requirements:

• Customer has had a standard calling plan plus data services costing at least $68.99 a month but no more than $98.99 a month, and who has been in contract (and not had a phone upgrade) for 21 months or more, or
  • Customer has had a standard calling plan plus data services costing $99 a month or more, and who has been in contract (and not upgraded) in the last 12 months.
A customer with a calling plan and data services of less than $69 who is 21 to 23 months into contract may upgrade for a fee and a commitment of an additional two-year service contract extension. No upgrade fee is assessed for any customers who are on a month-to-month agreement.
Note that AT&T Wireless upgrade eligibility may be further limited based on customer’s usage history, payment record, previous phone replacement, etc. Upgrade eligibility is solely determined by AT&T Wireless at its discretion.
http://www.wirefly.com/learn/resources/att-wireless-cell-phone-upgrade-eligibility-requirements/

I've seen these rules posted in more than one place that sells AT&T service, so yeah, it explains the reason there's a difference based on the price of your monthly service. The secret ingredients, then, are the early upgrades for iPhone buyers, and whatever factors in to moving someone's eligibility arbitrarily (i.e. customer service, or a mass-move to eligibility as they did with the iPhone 4).