Upgrade eligibility frequency?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Torinate, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

Hello there.

How often are you eligible for an upgrade?

I know different providers may have different lengths.

I'm in Ontario. 3 years. It's also the same price then as a new customer would get. No loyalty reward what so ever. Pretty disappointing if you ask me.

Could I sign up with a US provider and use my Canadian number? What are the international plans like cost wise?

Trying to get an idea of all my options.

Thanks

2. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

AT&T is every 24 months unless you pay your bill fully and on time every month then it is anywhere from 18 to 23 months. I don't think you can have an US carrier and a Canadian number though.

3. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

Thanks.

yes, bill comes out auto
    Automatically.

4. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Gold

That is correct, it doesn't work. You can't get a Canadian number on a U.S. carrier, or vice-versa.

Even for the earlier upgrade, the roaming charges you'd pay to always be using a U.S. carrier in Canada would be ridiculous, so you might as well just buy a phone off-contract.

Sprint is now on an every 22 month upgrade cycle.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

5. chazm

chazm Contributor
    Silver

Or 12 months as a lot of us got this time

6. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

My eligibility upgrade was 12 months also. I thought the ongoing theory was that monthly bills in excess of so much received an earlier upgrade of 12 months, either that or random AT&T decisions that have no sensible thought process to them what so ever.

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app

7. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

iPhone to iPhone. Not a normal upgrade plan.

8. dorrien12

dorrien12 Member
    Bronze

AT&T changed that this year, every
    20 months.

9. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Until you are late on a payment.

10. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

Wow! 12 months.

Anyone here on Bell in Canada? What's your time frame? I'm with Rogers and they're not very rewarding to longtime customers. I've with them since the Cantel days back in 1990 and they still want the 3 years or pay the penalty. I'm over 2 years already...

Thanks

11. Gailco

Gailco New Member

I am with Bell in Ontario.... after 2 yrs of a 3 yr contract if you renew you can upgrade for $159. At 1 yr it is $259 with renewal.

12. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

Sprint has changed their policy recently on upgrades, which blows. Currently it's:
    1-year: $75 off retail.
    2-years: $150 off retail.

They used to have a program called Sprint Premier. Eligibility was based on your monthly phone bill. If you were paying above a certain amount they were very generous, offering a full upgrade every 12 months. They also offered Premier Status to customers with a 10-year history regardless of the plan you were on.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Full subsidation ($450 discount) is 18 months for AT&T customers on a single plan, but they just dropped it to 17 months for those who upgraded to an iPhone 4 in June 2010. It's 12 months for family plans or those who pay more than $100 (before taxes) for their monthly bill.

14. chazm

chazm Contributor
    Silver

What's your point? It's a 12 month upgrade. Had it for the last 4 years

15. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

http://www.wirefly.com/learn/resources/att-wireless-cell-phone-upgrade-eligibility-requirements/

I've seen these rules posted in more than one place that sells AT&T service, so yeah, it explains the reason there's a difference based on the price of your monthly service. The secret ingredients, then, are the early upgrades for iPhone buyers, and whatever factors in to moving someone's eligibility arbitrarily (i.e. customer service, or a mass-move to eligibility as they did with the iPhone 4).