Upgrade eligibility question?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

LuvKeane

Bronze
May 10, 2009
Broadway
Mine is about 105$ (900 minutes & data plan).
Then you will be able to. Not ALL of the call reps are really up-to-date with what's going on.
But if your plan is atleast $99 a month (you said yours was) then yes. They might have not updated this to include a search of plans in the process but if you're not far from a store a) ask if they have any left b) just go there if they do... do it in person. MUCH faster and you'll get your phone then.

biggrumpy

Nov 30, 2008
ATT is allowing people to upgrade to new 3Gs, but when I check, it says
I'm eligible in Janurary. So I read more info on here, and see it is based
on a bill of over $100.00.

I had 3G, which was tragically put in washing machine in May. After that,
I cancelled the data plan because I went back to using beat up razor. My
plan is $80.00 a month, but I get a discount from work that makes it
$68.00. My text plan is $15.00, making the total on my bill either $95.00
before discount, or $83.00 after discount.

To get the cheaper price for 3GS, I need to make my bill over $100.00,
is this $100.00 before or after my discount?

And...

If this is correct, can I upgrade to higher plan, get my phone at cheaper
price, and then go back to my $80.00 plan in a couple monthes.

I apologize if this has already been posted, but I am frustrated and I miss
having my iPhone. If I have to wait until Janruary, I will try to hold out
until next June or July for the next version.

Thanks

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
There's a pretty long thread on this here, but I don't think that changing your plan temporarily will help. Looking at the wording of their letter to customers, AT&T gave early upgrade pricing to customers who paid $99 before taxes per month from the time they received their iPhone 3G last year. So, bumping up your plan cost won't help you get upgrade pricing any sooner than you already will...

Last edited by a moderator:

biggrumpy

Nov 30, 2008
The latest information I got from the almighty ATT is that because I am
not using my iPhone, and I cancelled my iPhone data plan, I do not
qualify. I cancelled my data plan on May 22, so I have only had 1 month
that my bill wasn't over the magical $100.
The solution to me from ATT about wanting a new phone, was to check
out the Go-Phones, use a Go Phone without a contract until Jan when I
qualify for a new phone.

I am hoping that if I go into a store and plead my case, I might get one.
I have spent over $1800 a year with ATT for the past 4 or 5 years, you
think they could cut me a little break, due ot my bill for the iPhone line
only dipping under $100 once since last summer.

Thanks for reading the rantings of a mad man !

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
The upgrade rules are the line must be over $99 before discounts and taxes for 12 months to get an upgrade at 1 year. If you downgrade or go below for one month, that resets the 12 month rule.

Joe

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Those of us with single plans who upgraded to an iPhone 4 on release day in 2010 are eligible for full subsidization on November 18th. I thought AT&T would push the dates forward by 6 weeks so we could order tomorrow, but it's not going to happen, unfortunately.

I just spoke with an AT&T rep who said they are not planning on changing the dates and management has given them no authority to push dates forward for those with accounts in good standing. I can't justify paying an extra $250 when I could just wait and get the phone five weeks after it's released and save that money.

I love AT&T, but I considered switching to Sprint or Verizon so I could get full subsidization, but it won't actually save me $250. When you factor in the AT&T ETF ($165 right now) and the cost of setting up a new line line of service with Sprint, the savings is only $67 (AT&T $449+$18=$467 and Sprint $199+$36+$165=$400) and I would lose faster 3G speeds and simultaneous 3G and voice.

The iPhone 4 can be sold on eBay for about $350 right now, which brings the out of pocket cost down to about $117, but I'm planning on hanging on to my iPhone 4 as a backup phone. So I'm sticking with AT&T and I'll get an iPhone 4S on November 18th.

What are your upgrade plans?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
They need to offset the cost of subsidization. They are giving us a $400 discount on the hardware and they need to recoup that loss if we end the contract early. Verizon's ETF increased from $175 to $350 in November 2009. AT&T increased theirs from $185 to $325 in June 2010.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
The iPhone 4 can be sold on eBay for about $350 right now, which brings the out of pocket cost down to about $117, but I'm planning on hanging on to my iPhone 4 as a backup phone. So I'm sticking with AT&T and I'll get an iPhone 4S on November 18th.

What are your upgrade plans?
Is that unlocked or stock?