Upgrade Eligibility Requirements?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
Does anyone know specifically what amount of time you have to be into your contract to qualify for an upgrade? I have seen six months, and just wanted to get some verification.

For some reason I was thinking I was only about 6 months into my contract, but I am about 9 months and may be almost 10 months by the end of this month.

In case they are going to require you to be upgrade eligible just trying to see if I would fit in.

iphonenotify

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Does anyone know specifically what amount of time you have to be into your contract to qualify for an upgrade? I have seen six months, and just wanted to get some verification.

For some reason I was thinking I was only about 6 months into my contract, but I am about 9 months and may be almost 10 months by the end of this month.

In case they are going to require you to be upgrade eligible just trying to see if I would fit in.
When I went to my AT&T store they said even though i could not get an upgrade, i could still get the phone on my contract by paying the $599. The man said upgrade or not it would be that much. Upgrades give discounts, but if you want it you don't have to wait for an upgrade since there is no point (money wise).:p

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA

You have to be 21 months into a 24 month contract before you're eligible for an equipment upgrade.

Luckily for me, I have one of my lines that became eligible in May.

May 31, 2007
How do we get out of the 2 year plan

I just want to roll over my t-mobile
but I'll have to pay the stupid fee, life sucks
and then...

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
When I went to my AT&T store they said even though i could not get an upgrade, i could still get the phone on my contract by paying the $599. The man said upgrade or not it would be that much. Upgrades give discounts, but if you want it you don't have to wait for an upgrade since there is no point (money wise).:p
You should check again. I'm being told new customer activations and current AT&T customers eligible to upgrade only.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
I think you're all wrong, because it really just depends on what AT&T feels like SELLING at the time you ask.... I was about 1 year into a contract, and even the website showed me as "ELIGIBLE FOR UPGRADE", and so I did.

emerrill

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
I've never heard that. You could be right though. Makes sense.
I was offered an upgrade at the one year point (and then they denyed it because of a EON flag). So I think that can be true. Now my account says I may be able to upgrade on 7/10 (3mo before my contract is up). I may talk to a local manager, and see if they will agree to allow me to upgrade on the 29th, given the short time diff.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I was offered an upgrade at the one year point (and then they denyed it because of a EON flag). So I think that can be true. Now my account says I may be able to upgrade on 7/10 (3mo before my contract is up). I may talk to a local manager, and see if they will agree to allow me to upgrade on the 29th, given the short time diff.
3 months before you contract is up on a 24 month contract would be 21 months.;)

emerrill

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
Well, what is an EON flag?
EON = Excessive Off Network. I used my phone on non-cingular towers, so the 'crippled' my account by making it so my phone wouldn't work on non-cingular/AT&T towers. I just got that removed from my account a few weeks ago.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
EON = Excessive Off Network. I used my phone on non-cingular towers, so the 'crippled' my account by making it so my phone wouldn't work on non-cingular/AT&T towers. I just got that removed from my account a few weeks ago.
Yep. Part of the small print that people normally don't read. It's free roaming but only if that roaming doesn't get excessive.

emerrill

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
Yeah. We (my wife and I, we were living apart, she was Cingular land and I wasn't), but we got our contacts before they started their crackdown on it.