Upgrade Eligibility Requirements?

vtecryder00

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Yeh. You can upgrade. I upgraded last month and it was only 6months into the contract. It added another 2 years. But then I made my decision 2 wait for the iPhone so I canceled that deal.

emerrill

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
Im not sure if things are getting confused/mixed up, or if they are applying things differently for different people, but my account clearly says 'may be eligible for upgrade on 7/10/07 (exactly 3 months from the end of the contract).

iPhoneObsessed

Bronze
May 9, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS
www.myspace.com
You should check again. I'm being told new customer activations and current AT&T customers eligible to upgrade only.
I've called AT&T more than 5 separate times, and every time they tell me that I can always pay the 'retail price' for the phone if I'm not eligible for upgrade. I'm not eligible until next year some time, so I was worried about it, but I specifically asked them about the 'paying the retail price' thing applied to the iPhone and everytime they confirmed yes. What the actual retail price is (whether it be 599 or more) they couldn't say.

Also, I have been reading articles (like this one here) that say you may have to sign a '2 year DATA' contract for the phone instead. So that may solve the questions and problems about just getting the phone and selling it on eBay...

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
I guess we will know for sure by 6/29. I'm still convinced that the iPhone will only be offered to new customers and upgrade eligible customers only. I sincerely hope I'm wrong though.

slipperypete

Bronze
May 20, 2007
I cannot see At&T only selling the phone to new customers or customers eligible for an upgrade(like some have said)

I think I am eligible for an upagrde in Jan of 08. I can't see At&T saying "sorry sir, we don't want your $600 or you to extend your contract for 2 more years.....we would rather walk away mad and you take your $600 some place else...."

I did talk to my local Apple store again today and one again was told "you will be able to purchase the phone even if you are not eligible for an upgrade and pay either $499 or $599." The Apple store employee followed up by saying "they will probably make you extend your contract for 2 years if your not eligible"

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
I guess we will know for sure by 6/29. I'm still convinced that the iPhone will only be offered to new customers and upgrade eligible customers only. I sincerely hope I'm wrong though.
I hope you are wrong too.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I've called AT&T more than 5 separate times, and every time they tell me that I can always pay the 'retail price' for the phone if I'm not eligible for upgrade. I'm not eligible until next year some time, so I was worried about it, but I specifically asked them about the 'paying the retail price' thing applied to the iPhone and everytime they confirmed yes. What the actual retail price is (whether it be 599 or more) they couldn't say.

Also, I have been reading articles (like this one here) that say you may have to sign a '2 year DATA' contract for the phone instead. So that may solve the questions and problems about just getting the phone and selling it on eBay...
I am pretty sure they're going to let anyone in good standing add the data plan and buy the phone, but the two-year gig on the data plan is going to be required in order to buy the phone.