Upgrade Eligibilty Question

passta

Aug 16, 2007
I've been trying to see if I am upgrade eligilbe for the iPhone 3GS. I bought my iPhone 3G on release day last year, but when I go to the site to check upgrade eligibilty, I am not eligible until 2/14/2010. I think I know why this is, but want to see if it is legit.

My original phone I got on luanch day, I dropped it and broke the glass last September. So I went to the Apple Store and bought a new one, I had to pay $499, which I though was an unsubsidized price. So a few weeks later looking at my account, I now see my 2yr contract end date is in Sept of 2010 instead of July 2010. I guess my $499 purchase automatically renewed my contract? Has antyone had a simliar experience? I have since repaired my broken launch day phone and am still using it, and sold the $500 one on ebay since it was past the 30 day return window. I'm thinking I should be upgrade eligible.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
According to this article, the $499 you paid was an early upgrade price, not a contract-free price, so you did extend your 2-year contract when you bought it from Apple. Unfortunately, this means that your contract end date is indeed September 2010. :(

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I've been trying to see if I am upgrade eligilbe for the iPhone 3GS. I bought my iPhone 3G on release day last year, but when I go to the site to check upgrade eligibilty, I am not eligible until 2/14/2010. I think I know why this is, but want to see if it is legit.

My original phone I got on luanch day, I dropped it and broke the glass last September. So I went to the Apple Store and bought a new one, I had to pay $499, which I though was an unsubsidized price. So a few weeks later looking at my account, I now see my 2yr contract end date is in Sept of 2010 instead of July 2010. I guess my $499 purchase automatically renewed my contract? Has antyone had a simliar experience? I have since repaired my broken launch day phone and am still using it, and sold the $500 one on ebay since it was past the 30 day return window. I'm thinking I should be upgrade eligible.
That is correct. Unfortunately, TMK, you cannot purchase an iPhone from Apple without a contract. So, purchasing that $499 at "full price" is still like you're purchasing a phone from them with a 2-year contract, only you're not paying a subsidized price. If it were ANY other phone, you'd be able to pay full retail price and purchase it without a contract. But the iPhone? No way. Just they way they work...