Upgrade help

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Reisdennis62, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Reisdennis62

Reisdennis62 Member
    Bronze

So my sister and I are on the same family plan on AT&T and we both have iPhones.
    I unfortunately can't upgrade until July 2013 but she can and has offered to let me use her upgrade.

My question is will I be able to do that? Preorder the iPhone 5 under her name then when I get it go to the AT&T store and ask for a nano sim so I can place it under my number,
    Any knowledge is appreciated!
    Thanks

Real Madrid_MUFC

2. Girdler

Girdler Contributor
    Bronze

Yes you can do that. Once the phone is received it will have a SIM card with it, but that is for your sisters phone. You would need to have her contact AT&T and activate her old SIM(or prevent the nano from being activated). Then, you will go to the AT&T store and request a Nano SIM. Once you have a Nano SIM for your line, put it into the iPhone 5 and go from there.

3. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Actually, the iPhone 5 will come with a Nano SIM already. All they will have to do is have AT&T transfer the upgrade to her line and number, and then she can activate the iPhone 5.

4. jfleming01

jfleming01 Member
    Bronze

Same situation (only upgrade is from son who has a dumb phone will I have to go to the store with the preordered phone or can AT&T make switch remotely.

5. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I was told they can transfer the upgrade to another line and number over the phone in their system. Basically all they have to do is switch the IMEI codes.

6. trido

trido Member
    Bronze

I think I follow this as I am doing same thing via Apple.com.
    So in his case the iPhone 5 will come with a nano sim HOWEVER that sim included will have HER phone number on it?
    SO he will not want to even turn that phone on right?
    And go to att and get a new nano sim and have his number on it right?
    If this is all correct than I was told wrong I was told all this can be done by just call ing ATT but that cant be if in his case that iPhone nano sim with have her number on it?

Or am I wrong does the sim stay blank UNTIL activated maybe?

thanks

7. Reisdennis62

Reisdennis62 Member
    Bronze

Alright cool so AT&T will be ok with me using her upgrade?

Real Madrid_MUFC

8. trido

trido Member
    Bronze

so the installed nano sim stays blank unused till phone activated?

thanks

9. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Technically the iPhone 5 will be for her account, you're right. But until she activates the iPhone 5, nothing will change. As I was told, DO NOT activate it yourself until you call and they switch the numbers in the system, then all will be well and her iPhone will have her number on it. No need to get a new Nano SIM.

10. Girdler

Girdler Contributor
    Bronze

If the upgrade is through her phone, then the SIM card included with the order will be tied to her phone. He will just have to get a Nano SIM for his number and she will continue using the phone and SIM card that she currently has.

She will just have to provide AT&T with the number on the SIM card and the IMEI number for the phone.

He will provide AT&T with the IMEI number for the iPhone 5 and they will obviously know the Nano SIM information, because they will be giving him one.

11. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Definitely. That is allowed. I as well as many others have done that, you just have to let AT&T know before you activate it for them to switch the codes so the iPhone 5 will have your number on it.

12. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

He will not have to get a new Nano SIM. They change the information in their system and all is well. I talked to many stores today and AT&T and Apple about it. And I've done cross transfers before.

13. Girdler

Girdler Contributor
    Bronze

They should be able to use the Nano SIM that comes with the phone, as long as it is never activated. However, if for any reason the phone is turned on and activated(either by mistake or purpose to test the phone) then they would have to get a new Nano SIM because it would be tied to her account. I'm just wanting to set the expectation of needing a new one, just in case anything does happen.

14. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Anyone doing cross transfers, just do not activate it. Call AT&T or go there and ask them to transfer it to your phone. Turning the phone on will not activate it, you have to call the number that it will give you on a piece of paper in the box.

15. trido

trido Member
    Bronze

Ok I might be confusing this somewhat original poster wants to use his sisters full upgrade but he wants the new iPhone 5 for himself on his number.
    So he would call ATT or go to att store say my sisters line should be two year upgraded however i would like iPhone 5 on his line.
    So i am thinking since he never turned on his sisters iPhone 5 he can call in to att tell them sim number as it is still blank unactivated and they will use it for HIS numner right?
    You say her iPhone will have her number that really is nothing has changed as far as her older iPhone except her line now has been upgraded and HE now has the new iPhone 5.

Main thing I like to know if the un activated nano sim can be used on a diferent phone number than what Apple ships it for as long as not activated?

thanks

16. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I'm confused with the question you asked, but yes. Let me explain. I am doing the same thing she is doing, the original poster. I have done this before. I upgrade my mother's phone line with the iPhone 5, both her phone and mine still work obviously. Then when I receive iPhone 5 I immediately go to AT&T or call them and they switch over the information so MY iPhone 5 will have my number. If I don't do this, and I activate it, it will have my mother's phone number attached to it.

17. Reisdennis62

Reisdennis62 Member
    Bronze

I'm going to preorder it and pick it up at Apple and see if they can set it all up there.
    Thanks for all the info!

Real Madrid_MUFC