Upgrade old iPhone before activating new?

Neil

Bronze
OK, if I plan to use my old iPhone as an iPhone touch, do I need to upgrade to the new OS before the new one is activated? I thought I read that somewhere, not sure where. So then you would need to upgrade before buying the 3G, which is activated at time of purchase, or ?
Thanks for any info on this.
Neil

Radis

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
OK, if I plan to use my old iPhone as an iPhone touch, do I need to upgrade to the new OS before the new one is activated? I thought I read that somewhere, not sure where. So then you would need to upgrade before buying the 3G, which is activated at time of purchase, or ?
Neil
i am also wondering this also, i thought i read about this somewhere too but wasn't sure.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Neil
It is not certain whether the 2.0 firmware can be jailbroken/unlocked. The beta version has been jailbroken/unlocked using apps such as Pwnage. You need to decide whether having access to the app store is that important. Installer on the jailbroken iPhones has access to a huge library of free apps. Something I would seriously think twice about.

Personally, I'll keep my jailbroken/unlocked iPhone at 1.1.4. I've unlocked it despite being with AT&T so that I can perform restore operations on it as necessary without having to fight the AT&T activation process every time. My plan is to keep my old iPhone as an iPod, and pop in a pre-paid T-Mobile SIM card if I want to use it as a second phone.

gotzaiPhone

Zealot
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
Apple "claims" that if you want to use your v1 as a touch, you need to upgrade to 2.0. I wonder if thats a sneaky way to prevent all the now unused v1's from being used on other networks (keeping in mind that they believe that 2.0 is harder to unlock)

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Apple "claims" that if you want to use your v1 as a touch, you need to upgrade to 2.0. I wonder if thats a sneaky way to prevent all the now unused v1's from being used on other networks (keeping in mind that they believe that 2.0 is harder to unlock)
Deceptive advertising? Apple or AT&T wouldn't do that! What benefit would there be to bricking your $400 iPhone?

The iPhone makes a great iPod, no question there. Remove the SIM card. Voila!

The problem you will run into is if you decide you want to upgrade the firmware, or you need to do a restore because the iPhone became unstable/buggy. For upgrades, Apple will check to make sure you are activated. For restores, I've found that using Pwnage, I can create a firmware version that can be restored to in lieu of the standard firmware update.

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
No, the reason Apple would want you to upgrade to 2.0 is so that you can buy Apps from the App store. You can't do it on 1.1.4.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
So you can use v1 as a touch, including internet, etc., without upgrading? Just no app store (which is fine; it'll be on the new one.)
..but only if you have Wi-Fi access. ;)

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
ive heard that a lot, so im gunna say just play it safe and upgrade before you activate your new 3g

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
So you can use v1 as a touch, including internet, etc., without upgrading? Just no app store (which is fine; it'll be on the new one.)

No no, if you have a V1 iPhone, you should really think about upgrading it to 2.0 software BEFORE you deactivate the sim when you switch to the 3G iPhone. That way you have all the benefits of a 2.0 iPod touch, including the APP store. PLUS you get the camera functions. It also looks like the Devs can unlock and jailbreak 2.0 on the old bootloader, so you will also get INSTALLER!

iconone

Zealot
Gold
Apr 8, 2008
Clear Lake Texas
No no, if you have a V1 iPhone, you should really think about upgrading it to 2.0 software BEFORE you deactivate the sim when you switch to the 3G iPhone. That way you have all the benefits of a 2.0 iPod touch, including the APP store. PLUS you get the camera functions. It also looks like the Devs can unlock and jailbreak 2.0 on the old bootloader, so you will also get INSTALLER!
What do you mean by the camera functions?

GSY

Bronze
Mar 22, 2007
I was at the Apple store yesterday getting a warranty replaced iPhone 3G, and I spoke

with a Genius at the bar. I told him that I'd be getting the 3G soon and what functionality the 2G iPhone will have. He said it can still be used as an iPod touch and a WiFi only internet device as long as it has not been restored in iTunes because then it won't be recongnized by the computer. So if you get a 3G, just pop out the SIM card on the old one and don't restore it.

Deceptive advertising? Apple or AT&T wouldn't do that! What benefit would there be to bricking your $400 iPhone?

The iPhone makes a great iPod, no question there. Remove the SIM card. Voila!

The problem you will run into is if you decide you want to upgrade the firmware, or you need to do a restore because the iPhone became unstable/buggy. For upgrades, Apple will check to make sure you are activated. For restores, I've found that using Pwnage, I can create a firmware version that can be restored to in lieu of the standard firmware update.