Upgrade question

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

missygal

Zealot
Silver
Jul 2, 2010
How does upgrading on another line work? I’m not eligible yet so was going to upgrade through husbands line. Do they shut his phone off at anytime or do I just take to AT&T when I get it and they do everything then?

TIA

missygal

Zealot
Silver
Jul 2, 2010
I called at&t and got my answer. I’m a little worried about ordering through them and not Apple but Apple isn’t that close to me.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Even tho I’m upgrading with different line? I don’t want it to mess his phone up.
It's totally fine to order it under his name. It won't mess up his phone. After you get the new phone activate it as you normally would. The activation will deactivate his current SIM card. Next, remove the deactivated SIM card that is in his current phone, throw it away and put the new SIM card from the new iPhone in his phone. Then take the SIM card out of your current phone and put it in the new iPhone.

missygal

Zealot
Silver
Jul 2, 2010
So what happens to my current phone? My husband keeps his current one I use the new one...I still owe on this one...

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
So what happens to my current phone? My husband keeps his current one I use the new one...I still owe on this one...
You'll continue to make payments on your old phone until it's paid off. You can sell it privately before it's paid off. The other option is to make a payment to AT&T for the full balance that you owe.

missygal

Zealot
Silver
Jul 2, 2010
You'll continue to make payments on your old phone until it's paid off. You can sell it privately before it's paid off. The other option is to make a payment to AT&T for the full balance that you owe.
I know I still have to pay but is it an active phone? Do I still pay as a “line”. Another words I can’t have two phones with same number.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I know I still have to pay but is it an active phone? Do I still pay as a “line”. Another words I can’t have two phones with same number.
No, cellular functions won't work while there's no SIM card in it. Your calls will start going to the new phone as soon as you move the SIM card. You'll only pay for one line as you only have one phone number. It will work like an iPod Touch.

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
You're not adding a line so you won't pay for for an extra line. The only extra charge will be the monthly charges for the new phone. You'll be paying the payments for the phone you're replacing and payments for the new one. I've done it many times although not through a preorder I usually go into the store and they handle it.