Upgrade Questions

TheAtreidesHawk

Bronze
Jun 7, 2010
So I know that AT&T will allow me to upgrade to the iPhone 4 as long as I sign on for another 2 years.

However my question is this...does my current phone HAVE to be an iPhone in order for this to work?

I want to SELL my Black 32 GB iPhone 3GS and transfer my number to an old nokia that I have lying around. THEN I want to use the money from selling the 3GS to buy the iPhone 4. Would I still be able to get it at the $299 since I'm signing up for another 2 years.

More importantly would I be able to keep my unlimited data plan for the new iPhone? Or would AT&T say that since I switched to the nokia device that I have to select one of their new horrible data plans?

If I can at least still KEEP my unlimited plan I would still sell my 3GS, switch to the nokia phone, and just buy the iPhone 4 at full price.

If anyone can help me sort this out I'd greatly appreciate it

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
It doesn't matter what phone you're physically using at the time of upgrading... it only matters when you last got a subsidy from AT&T, which would be when you purchased your 3GS. I sold my 3GS and am using my backup V1 until the 24th.

TheAtreidesHawk

Bronze
Jun 7, 2010
OKay sweet but what about the data plans. Since you got a 3GS like me last year will you still be able to continue with unlimited data?

Thats what I want. I think AT&T is trying to rape customers with their new pricing and I refuse to give up my unlimited data.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
You know, that's a very good question. I'm going to call AT&T tomorrow and find that out, because right now I'm on the $20 Edge plan and I hope that doesn't mess things up for me...

TheAtreidesHawk

Bronze
Jun 7, 2010
You know, that's a very good question. I'm going to call AT&T tomorrow and find that out, because right now I'm on the $20 Edge plan and I hope that doesn't mess things up for me...
Yeah please let me know what you find out. because I'm really anxious to put the 3GS up for sale asap but not if it screws me over in the long run.

Thanks for the quick reply. This seems like an awesome forum. Glad I finally joined.

iPhone > Android any day of the week IMO.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Wait, you kept the $20 Edge plan on the 3GS?

Nemss316

Bronze
Jun 17, 2008
St. Louis, MO
You should be able to keep your current plan, since that was the agreement you made when you purchased your 3GS. Even if you're using the V1 as a backup, its not your fault its only on Edge. I think you'll be fine, since you're being grandfathered in towards the iPhone 4.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Hey, guess what? People on the $20 V1 plan aren't grandfathered in and as of right now, I'm screwed out of keeping my unlimited data plan because I was using my V1 on the 7th. I am currently raising some serious hell with AT&T CS... stay tuned for more details.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
That sucks! Hopefully, you can get out of it since you were only using it for a few weeks. Was the $20 V1 plan an automatic change when they saw that you had switched from the 3GS to the V1?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
That sucks! Hopefully, you can get out of it since you were only using it for a few weeks. Was the $20 V1 plan an automatic change when they saw that you had switched from the 3GS to the V1?
Yeah, it switched back when I put my 3GS sim in the V1 and activated it with iTunes. I just got off the phone with customer service, and they put a special mark on my account. They said the langauge they have received from AT&T corporate "appears" to support grandfathering of any unlimited data account, but they don't have particulars and are not sure at this time how it will technically appear in the system. The mark on my account will apparently let me take one of the new data plans when I purchase my iPhone 4, and retroactively change it with customer service once I get home.

So long story short... If you were a 3G plan user and switched to a V1 plan during the new plan rollout on the 7th, call AT&T and get yourself sorted out if you want to keep unlimited data when you upgrade.