UPGRADE SWAP

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jesse Gonzalez, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Jesse Gonzalez

Jesse Gonzalez New Member

I unfortunately am not available for an upgrade to the iPhone 5 until May 2013. My wife, however, has an iPhone 4 and is eligible. We have talked about getting her upgrade for me and giving her my 4S. Has anyone done this before? Is it ok to preorder online? Do I need to go to the Apple store/AT&T or can I do it from home? Is it easy as swapping the microsims out? Thanks!

2. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

This is done all the time. The only problem you should have is someone will be without the use of the phone for a few minutes while you carrier does the transfer.

3. Jesse Gonzalez

That's not a problem at all. Thanks!

4. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

You can preorder, but you wouldn't be able to do the line swapping at the time of the order. The iPhone 5 will come with its own nano SIM, and take over her phone number once activated. You would be able to get AT&T to switch the accounts back after activating the iPhone 5, but you can not just swap SIMs due to the new SIM format. So, you'll need to take it to an AT&T store after you get it, or you may be able to get them to do it over the phone with customer service. In fact, the stores are probably going to be slightly packed.

5. Jesse Gonzalez

Thanks for the suggestions! I will be calling customer service and hopefully they won't be a pain to work with and will be able to help without me having to go to a store.

6. Josh Yates

Josh Yates Contributor
    Silver

I called customer service & they told me NOT to activate the phone...

Simply swap out the sims from your wife's iPhone 4 to your 4S, then take your new iPhone 5 to an AT&T store and have them put that phone on your line. I'm doing the same thing.

7. Jesse Gonzalez

Josh, thanks for the suggestion. So I can't just call customer service and do it over the phone? I have to physically go to a store?

So the issue isn't with my wife going from her 4 to my 4S since I am able to just put her iPhone 4 sim card in my 4S. The issue will be moving my sim card into the 5 then.

Thanks!

8. Josh Yates

Josh Yates Contributor
    Silver

They said you can call, but with the new nano sim, it may be easiest to go into the store. I have so many AT&T stores around me, I'm sure I can find one that won't be slammed. :)

I think the key is to NOT activate the phone before calling/going to AT&T. If you do, then your wife's sim will be deactivated and then you'll have to take her phone in as well. If you activate, it takes away the simplicity of swapping out the sims of the 4/4S.

9. Jesse Gonzalez

Sounds good. I will try my luck calling them and seeing if I can do it myself. I thought the 4 and 4S have nano sims too? No? Just want to make sure since you said new nano sim.

10. Josh Yates

Josh Yates Contributor
    Silver

The 4/4S have micro sims...the 5 has the nano sim.

11. Jesse Gonzalez

Gotcha. So I guess the thing will be if I can easily move my wife's micro sim from the 4 to the 4S, the issue will be the nano sim inside the 5 which technically will be programmed to be with my wife's number. Hopefully AT&T can switch my number for hers without even having to worry about having to get a new nano sim since that would obviously require a visit to the AT&T store. Thanks!

12. Branman

Branman Member
    Bronze

We don't have to take both phones into the store to do the swap correct? I was just planning on taking my iPhone 5 into the store not activated and hope they can take care of it.

13. Josh Yates

Josh Yates Contributor
    Silver

The CSR told me that as long as I don't activate the iPhone 5 myself and take it to the AT&T Store first, all should be fine.

14. hot_mamma311

hot_mamma311 Member
    Bronze

Ok here's a question: What if I have my dad use his upgrade and I bring it to AT&T will that still work if we are NOT on the same family plan. He has his own plan with 3 lines and I also have my own plan with 3 lines.

15. Josh Yates

Josh Yates Contributor
    Silver

No clue. I think you may be getting into some grey area there. Using another account's upgrade may be over the proverbial line. :)

16. kevinn

kevinn New Member

17. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

I wonder if there will be a shortage of those new sim cards tomorrow? Are there other phones that use the nano's? Do they keep a good supply in. I have to go by AT&T tomorrow because I used my Wife's upgrade.

18. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

Just talked to AT&T about moving my upgrade and the long and short of it is they are going to let me use my wife's iPad 4g for the upgrade. So if you have a data plan on an iPad you may have an option.

19. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold