Upgrade time

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Daniel_seward408, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Daniel_seward408

Bronze

Hello everyone,

It that exciting time of the year when I'm due my upgrade. I have the iPhone 4 with a stupidly expensive contract. I don't want to change phones just yet (not until the iPhone xx) but I want to try and figure out what sort of contract I should go for? 1 month, 3 months or 1 year? How long do we think it's going to take before we see the new iPhone? I was hoping for a joint iOS 6 and iPhone release.

Or does anybody suggest other phones. Not likely on iCafe. Hehe.

Dan

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I'd be hesitant to jump into any sort of new contract right now. The only contracts I'm aware of with AT&T are either 1 or 2 years. I'm not sure if they even provide any sort of subsidy on new phone if you opt for one year.

What carrier are you with?

3. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Once your 2 year contract from buying the phone has expired, you should just be able to continue month-to-month at the same price without signing an additional contract. So, you won't need to do anything until the next iPhone comes out. You should get the carrier to unlock your current iPhone 4, though. That's a pretty handy thing to have when looking to resell it to get the money to buy the next iPhone

4. Jogi

Jogi New Member

If you are up for an upgrade. You can either sign a 1 year (partially subsidized price) or 2 year (full discount) contract. I am due for an upgrade this fall probably around the same time the new iPhone will come out. What I plan on doing is probably getting the latest and greatest Android phone that will be out at the time. I plan on test driving it for a couple weeks to decide if I will actually like it. I know I will like the new iPhone so I will decide if I think the Android phone will be able to hold me over for 2 years. If I don't like the Android phone I will pay the $35 restocking fee and get the new iPhone within the 30 day trial. It will be $35 well spent if I don't end up liking the Android phone. I have done this before and always come back to the iPhone. I am just hoping that Android can come out with a phone that can somewhat rival the battery life on my iPhone 4. I can usually get about 2 days out of my iPhone 4. The most I ever got on an Android was about a little over a day and that is with the brightness down and all that other good stuff you have to do to extend Android battery life. The battery life on Android during standby drains quite a bit. The iPhone battery on standby does not seem to drain nearly as fast. I have no problem going from friday-sunday on a single charge if not using my phone all that much.

5. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Excellent advice!
    If your contract is due to expire before the expected release of the new iPhone in the fall, just get them to unlock your current phone and use the dough you make selling that to buy your new iPhone, unsubsidized.
    That way you should be able to go month to month without contract....

6. Daniel_seward408

Bronze

I'm in the uk. Currently on Vodafone but they don't seem to happy to help at the moment.

As I was saying though, it's a stupidly expensive contract, I can pick up a 'sim only' contract for loads cheaper.

7. btitus

btitus Contributor
    Silver

My contract runs out with AT&T tomorrow and I would love to upgrade. I really hate that Apple is so freaking clandestine when it comes to letting us know when the new iPhone will be released.

8. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

There's almost never an Android phone that will rival the iPhone's battery. They just have too much glitter (rolling background animations, changing screens, programs in the background) on the phones for that, you'll end up w/an iPhone cause the battery is unmatched for what you can do.