Upgrade to 3.0.1 for jailbroken phones

scorpion79

Aug 7, 2009
Hi,

I was wondering if there is any way to upgrade to 3.0.1 for jailbroken 3GS without losing all the data on the iPhone..I have too much data to lose if there is no other way and would prefer not to upgrade...Please let me know if anyone of you have upgraded a jailbroken phone to 3.0.1..

Thanks,

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Let me get this straight. You would like to upgrade to 3.0.1 on a Jailbroken 3GS without losing your data. Is this correct?

All of your App Store downloaded/purchased applications are saved into your iTunes once you Sync and Backup. As far as your Cydia applications goes, you can install a program through Cydua called pKgBackup. Backup your Cydia files through that program, then immediately sync using iTunes. I'm not sure how well this works when reinstalling pKgBackup and pressing Restore on pKgBackup.

As far as upgrading to 3.0.1 on a Jailbroken 3GS, go through iTunes and restore your phone to factory state. This is usually how I do it so nothing wrong goes down during the process. Then, use Redsn0w and the 3.0 Firmware, which you can download via the Internet, and you're set to go. Follow the on screen instructions.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Let me get this straight. You would like to upgrade to 3.0.1 on a Jailbroken 3GS without losing your data. Is this correct?

All of your App Store downloaded/purchased applications are saved into your iTunes once you Sync and Backup. As far as your Cydia applications goes, you can install a program through Cydua called pKgBackup. Backup your Cydia files through that program, then immediately sync using iTunes. I'm not sure how well this works when reinstalling pKgBackup and pressing Restore on pKgBackup.

As far as upgrading to 3.0.1 on a Jailbroken 3GS, go through iTunes and restore your phone to factory state. This is usually how I do it so nothing wrong goes down during the process. Then, use Redsn0w and the 3.0 Firmware, which you can download via the Internet, and you're set to go. Follow the on screen instructions.
PkgBackup works very well for me.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It's best to restore to factory settings with every FW update. Your media will stay in your library and can simply be synced back on, your jailbroken apps can be backed up as stated above, your contacts can be backed up with a Yahoo/Gmail acct if you don't have Mobile Me, your notes and SMS files can be saved through OpenSSH or with iPhoneBrowser and then copied back into the file system after you jailbreak again.

You will have to reinput your settings and app passwords and set up your email and you will lose your saved game data.

The need to do all this is the main draw back to jailbreaking, but you should always update to the latest Apple FW to keep the phone as secure as possible.

jamalecop

Aug 9, 2009
hey guys, i'm new to this and need some help with my iPhone. I've got an Iphpne 3GS and was wondering if it is possible to jailbreak it. If so, how do I do it?!

Cheers

Jamie

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK

itsnowornever

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
Cali Baby!
You can also use redsn0w...that's really easy. Just google search it and find the downloads. It was one of the quickest jailbreaks i've seen yet and aside from my winterboard issue, I was fine. In the mod's section I posted on how to get around the winterboard crash.

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK

jamalecop

Aug 9, 2009
so does anyone actually know if redsn0w does work on the 3GS or not?!

jamalecop

Aug 9, 2009
cheers, i'll give it a go and let you know how i get on!

FuelieNova

Contributor
Silver
Aug 3, 2008
For anyone interested... below is a link to a video of showing you how to jail break.

Tg