Upgrade to bigger plan?

Discussion in 'iCloud' started by Smarty2600, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

Apple emailed me and said my free 5gb iCloud is almost full, I have one GB left and have never bothered to uncheck backing up anything. I like the idea of just being able restore/set up new device without iTunes and so I'm wondering whether I should upgrade to then 10gb (really 15 since it includes the free 5gb) plan which is $20 a year. I hate using iTunes and as a result only synced/backed up when upgrading iOS but now with OTA I might do it less. So far I've never lost any catastrophic amount of data but I like the security of knowing that my data is safe in the iCloud. And never having to worry about it since it backs up every night I plug it in. I'm cheap but it is so easy to iTunes do the heavy lifting and just pay for more data.

Opinions?

2. IllusionEntity

IllusionEntity Evangelist
    Gold

I would personally delete all previous backups and backup immediately. You don't need more than one backup.

3. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

How do I do that? I thought it was just my one back up(technically two since I sync my iPod touch and iPad) that takes up that much space.

4. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

At this point I'm just wondering what would be the best way to shrink my iCloud storage below 5 GBs. If anyone has some ideas that would be great!

5. Camitampa

Camitampa Member
    Bronze

You may not need to have every app backed up to iCloud. I disabled most of mine and the backup size went to 1.3gig to 134 meg.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using iCafe app

6. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

WOWZERS! What a savings in space!

SO we really don't need to back up all of our Apps then. I suppose game progress can be saved on iTunes on your computer without relying on the Cloud.

I did go through a lot of my Apps when saving things and decided not to back some of them up but then I thought aren't I supposed to back these up? I threw in the towel and saved them. I was concerned, but I won't be any more. It's my dag on space! I'd better preserve it!

Thanks Guys!

7. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

To be completely honest, I don't use iCloud. I have everything backed up into iTunes, and I don't have game progress - I just play for fun whenever on a trip etc to pass time.

8. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

I was hoping to be able to back everything up to iCloud because I hate using iTunes, it's just slow and backing up can hours.

9. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

It all depends on how much stuff you have. I barely backup my device that much. I don't have a lot on any of my devices, except for a bunch of applications and stuff. Takes like 5 minutes?