Upgrade to the 3G but use the first gen iPhone?

emx620

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
My Dad has the first generation iPhone and is eligible for a discounted upgrade to the 3G iPhone. Could he upgrade to that, and then switch back to the first gen phone and give me the new 3G one? His only qualm is he doesn't want to have to be committed to paying the extra $10/month for the 3G.

I thought it would be easy enough to buy the 3G and activate in store, take it home and put your SIM in the old iPhone, call AT&T, switch to the old data plan, and continue your newly signed 2 year agreement.

Thoughts?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I have a distinct feeling that isn't going to work. You're signing a 2 year contract for the 3G at $30 a month so if you want to get back to the $20 a month contract I'm sure they will make you pay the ETF and sign a new contract.

emx620

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
I have a distinct feeling that isn't going to work. You're signing a 2 year contract for the 3G at $30 a month so if you want to get back to the $20 a month contract I'm sure they will make you pay the ETF and sign a new contract.
Well theoretically speaking, what if you lose your phone or simply want to change it? They're going to make you change some data plan you're not going to use? I know iPhone's require data plans, but in my example, I don't have to continue to pay for the iPhone data plan on my old slide phone now. Data + unlimited texting is $35/month, vs $50/month for the 3G.

chrismmm

Silver
Dec 27, 2007
Gwinnett, Georgia
interesting. that sounds like something i would try to do. let me know how it goes! and good luck

oakie

Bronze
Oct 18, 2008
Las Vegas
www.revtarded.com
yes, it's doable. here's your checklist:

1. dad goes in and buys the iPhone 3g
2. dad goes home, removes the SIM, puts it in his 1st gen
3. dad then reactivates the 1st gen through iTunes and selects the old data plan
4. you get the 3g iPhone and go back to the AT&T store
5. they issue you a new sim and you choose the more expensive data plan as you cannot do anything but
6. everybody is happy