Upgrade to V3 (when available)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Hi guys.
I have a 3G which I bought on release day July 08. I won't be eligible for upgrade until December 09. Assuming a iPhone comes out this summer, I want to get it on release day and I'm willing to pay the full unsubsidized price. Will I still be eligible for upgrade in December 09 (meaning that I can get V4 in the summer of 2010 at the subsidized price) or does buying a new phone at full unsubsidized cost set me back to day one on eligiblity?

Thanks!

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
There is no word on a release date for V3 yet, and V4 might be looking to far ahead as to when that comes out, all we could do is speculate, but i think you still will be eligible for the upgrade if you buy at the unsub price, but if im wrong there are smarter people here than me on this subject who will offer their advice.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Buying a phone at the unsubsidized price will not affect your upgrade status.

Although, I am surprised you're not eligible for an upgrade until December... Usually it takes a year for it to reset.

dt808

Bronze
Feb 5, 2009
Las Vegas, NV

Although, I am surprised you're not eligible for an upgrade until December... Usually it takes a year for it to reset.

Yep, won't affect your upgrade status.

He said he got his 3g on release. July 08 - July 09 is 1 year. Dec 09 is much more than a year.

Not being a punk either, just saying. :p

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
He said he got his 3g on release. July 08 - July 09 is 1 year. Dec 09 is much more than a year.

Not being a punk either, just saying. :p
that's exactly my point. Based on what i know about upgrades, he SHOULD be eligible July 09... not December.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
With the economy in the shape it is, it might even be worth threatening to go to another carrier if they don't honor the upgrade price...

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I always thought there was an 18 month wait between getting upgrade discounts, not 1 year. I could be wrong.

And Nap, you certainly have a point.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Well, now I'm REALLY glad I didn't get a 3g.

CBRfanatic

Bronze
Feb 28, 2008
Bronx
i got the v1 feb 08, but i bought a v2 off of a friend after he went to the storm, i called att and had them swap them on my account, does that set me back too or no?

HBOC

Bronze
Aug 4, 2008
Portland, Oregon
i bought mine in july (3G) and i had used my upgrade in april of 08', not knowing about the 3G iPhone coming out. Paid full price. I am eligible for their upgrade in december as well, BUT the Apple associate told me that if i had bought a V1 in april, i could get the 3G at a sub'd price. It would be nice to get the discount, as i don't want to sell the 3G to help pay for the 3G2 or whatever it is going to be called.. i just don't want to pay $500 again. And i always told myself i would never pay over $100 for a phone...damn this iPhone, it led to me buying my MBP.....

Pimpboy51

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Honestly
the iPhone is the best phone ive ever owned!
I've always dreamed of an iPod phone when I was
in 5th grade (04-05) and as soon as I got word
of it I almost freaked out I was like dejavu!
haha and eventually got it september of 08 (v1)
used though. and I loved it. january 3 I traded
my iPhone+ iPod touch for the 3G lol and im happy
i did! i love my iPhone! never imagined paying
nothing for a 3G lol now im just waiting for the new 3rd gen

CBRfanatic

Bronze
Feb 28, 2008
Bronx
Honestly
the iPhone is the best phone ive ever owned!
I've always dreamed of an iPod phone when I was
in 5th grade (04-05) and as soon as I got word
of it I almost freaked out I was like dejavu!
haha and eventually got it september of 08 (v1)
used though. and I loved it. january 3 I traded
my iPhone+ iPod touch for the 3G
lol and im happy
i did! i love my iPhone! never imagined paying
nothing for a 3G lol now im just waiting for the new 3rd gen
bad bad idea....i traded my iPhone and $90 for a brand new iPhone 3G...

Pimpboy51

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Yah but I didn't want my iPod anymore. no use for it.
and sorry but some people are smart here in orlando
and wont sell a new phone for an old phone + 90.00

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
They told me I would be eligible for upgrade 18 months after buying the 3G (which would be Dec 09). This is because I went with the cheapest monthly plan. If my monthly plan had more minutes and unlimited text or was a family plan, I would be eligible 12 months from the purchase date. They also said I could upgrade my plan a few months before the new one is released and it would make me eligible at the 12 month mark.

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
At&t allows for upgrades depending on how much you spend a month and/or if you are the the primary account holder. Meaning that if you spend over 99.99 a month and you are the primary account holder, you can upgrade every 12 months. If you spend under that or you are a secondary on a family plan regardless of cost, its 18 months. Now there is a way around that. I know this works on family plans, but if you are the secondary and you want a new phone bad, they'll upgrade you after 12 months at a price slightly higher than the upgrade price, but then you're done for 24 more months. My wife did that when we upgraded to blackjacks a few years ago.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
Apple/AT&T may do that middle upgrade again like last time. You basically pay $200 more than the subsidized price.

Joe

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007

actually, i spoke to a rep about this on the phone... i lost my iPhone, but my girlfriend's account was eligible for an upgrade, so i bought a new iPhone on her account and when i activated it, my upgrade date changed from Aug. 2009 to Feb 2010. i called and asked why and they said that it's a mandate from Apple and they cannot change it, but they notated my account and if i want to upgrade in august 2009, i can call and ask them to make an exception. no guarantees though.