Upgraded to 3.0 software and iPhone is now locked to AT&T

Jul 14, 2009
Hello all, I am in the uk and several onths ago bought an iPhone from ebay uk.
the uk only supply iPhones on the o2 network but the one i got was unlocked so i used on the orange network. the phone has been fine for months. i have tried to upgrade the soft wear from 2.1 to 3.0 and this has caused my phone to lock. I contacted Apple who told me that the phone was originaly a USA phone on the atandt network. the UK does not have atandt. the phone is still showing my network but has the cd and usb symbols on the phone and will only allow for emergency calls. iTunes message says "The sim card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported"

How can I get it working again. please somone help

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
You really shouldnt have upgraded to 3.0. I know that doesn't help, but just make sure everytime before you upgrade that no issues have been reported.

Do you have a V1 iPhone or is this posted on the wrong boards? If you have a 3g check this site out

http://ultrasn0w.com/

If you have a v1, im not sure, sorry

Jul 14, 2009
iPhone 2g problems

Hello all, I ot an iPhone from ebay and used it fine for several months unlocked on the UK Orange network. After trying to update the softwear i got the message the sim card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be suppoted I contacted Apple who told me the phone was one from the USA and was registered to AT&T, I contacted them who told me there was nothing they could do unless i got one of there sim cards. I now have an AT&T sim card and iTunes is taking me through the account setup for AT&T but im in the uk. I there anyway of bypassing this prosess so that I can use my phone again on my UK Orange network. I don't think the phone needs unlocking again becasue when i put other sims in the phone i get the network provider in the top lefthand corner but the screan is the iTunes logo and the USB cable. Someone please help. Cheers Steve

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 14, 2009
it wont restore unless i start an AT&T account. the restore button does not show up

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
Connect with USB to iTunes.

Hold down power and Home button for 10 seconds (You'll need to count this carefuly).

Release the power button and continue to hold the home button until you get a message from iTunes saying "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode" (or similar).

You should then be able to restore using iTunes and then jailbreak/unlock following the iClarified instructions from Europas post.

Jul 14, 2009
thanks im doing that now. the iClarified links relate to 3g and i have 2g. can ya suggest another one please.
cheers for all your help