Upgrading and trading in?

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by bballrob, Sep 17, 2014.

1. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

So I just got off the phone with my local AT&T Store, and this time I hit the jackpot. I spoke to my favorite sales guy over there, who I didn't even know still worked there. Hadn't seen him in there the past few times I was there, but I recognized his voice when he answered even before he stated his name.

I had actually called with a question about upgrading and porting a number from another carrier and he told me something interesting. My plan is to upgrade my line to iPhone 6 Gold(maybe iPhone 6 Plus, but I'm not set on that, and I'm not sure I want something THAT large as a phone) and then port my wife's number over from another carrier and putting my Golden iPhone 5S on her line. In the course of our conversation, I learned that if I set up my line FIRST on the new iPhone 6(or 6 Plus) and then put my 5S on her line, that neither of our lines will then be under contract, which is a screaming deal, because then it only costs $15 per month to add her to my Mobile Share plan instead of $25.

Here's the other part of the deal. When I mentioned I had an iPhone 5S, he said that those are worth $300 trade-in. When I asked him if that was the case for the 32 GB model, he said yes, it STARTS at $300 for a 5S and goes up from there. My wife is really interested in having a PINK phone, and while I told her we could likely get her a pink case to go on the Golden iPhone 5S, I'm now thinking of trading in the 5S for the $300 credit, and getting her a Pink iPhone 5C. This will be her first smartphone.

Part of the reason I'm going with the NEXT plan is because I don't currently have an upgrade available on my account. This is actually working out a little better than I expected when I found out my remaining 12 months on my line will essentially go away once I upgrade my line using NEXT. I do have a teenage son who will have one available next June, and mine's not available til September.

So, any thoughts on this?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Next is a good deal. I decided to go with it this year since I will save money on the monthly plan, have no upfront cost and can upgrade every year.

I think it's a really bad idea to trade your 5s for a 5c just so she can get pink. The 5s is a better phone and it's only one year old. The 5c has specs that are two years old now. I would try to talk her into keeping the 5s and putting a pink case on it. She probably would have put a case on the pink plastic 5c anyway, and this way she can get her favorite shade of pink and have an better aluminum phone with a fingerprint scanner.

3. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

I think you're right. I think I'll likely leave the AT&T store tomorrow with a new iPhone 6 or 6 Plus depending on what I decide in the wee hours tomorrow morning, as well as a new pink cover for her new Golden iPhone 5S which she will inherit from me.

She's really not going to care either way.

4. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

It's the same kind of deal with Verizon. The guy I talked to on the phone said I could get $300 for my iPhone 5S and trade it in to get an iPhone 6. The phone just has to be in pristine condition. I'm excited to get my hands on a 6.

5. RBNetEngr

RBNetEngr Contributor
    Bronze

The $300 trade in for iPhone 5S is only applicable toward an iPhone 6 or 6+, not the iPhone 5C.

And that $300 is given to you on a credit card that's only usable at the AT&T store. And the trade-in program expires on September 30.

For iPhone 4, 4S, 5 and 5C the trade-in value is $200.

I'm thinking of trading my iPhone 4S toward a new iPhone 6 and putting the $200 toward my phone bill. I'm not sure if it's possible to use it to pay down the per-month payments on the new iPhone, but if so, that would be great.