Upgrading from the 3G, what exactly is the way to activate new 3GS?

gulbane

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
I'm at work and chomping at the bit to get home! I am upgrading from the 3G and the new 3Gs has just arrived at my home.

Do I need to call AT&T tonight - or will plugging the new phone into iTunes automatically cancel the old phone and activate the new one?

Do I need to do anything with the old/new SIM cards?

I need to make this as quick as possible ;) Whats the scoop?

Thanks all!

MaverickC17

Bronze
Dec 29, 2007
I'm at work and chomping at the bit to get home! I am upgrading from the 3G and the new 3Gs has just arrived at my home.

Do I need to call AT&T tonight - or will plugging the new phone into iTunes automatically cancel the old phone and activate the new one?

Do I need to do anything with the old/new SIM cards?

I need to make this as quick as possible ;) Whats the scoop?

Thanks all!
I put my 3G SIM in my new 3GS and hooked it up to iTunes. iTunes said activation would take awhile but I disconnected from iTunes restarted the 3GS, it was activated and ready to go.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
you shouldn't even have to switch sims. iTunes handles all activating. type in your phone number, zip code, and last 4 digits of SSN, and you're good to go.

MaverickC17

Bronze
Dec 29, 2007
you shouldn't even have to switch sims. iTunes handles all activating. type in your phone number, zip code, and last 4 digits of SSN, and you're good to go.
Yeah, wasn't sure about that part so I just switched them. I noticed that the tray for the SIM is different between the 3G and the 3GS.

Carver

Jun 13, 2009
Dallas, TX
If you use the new sim included instead of your current, I thought At&t would pop you with that $18 activation fee?

R1 Kid

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
If you use the new sim included instead of your current, I thought At&t would pop you with that $18 activation fee?
Certainly a good question/comment. Can anyone verify if this is true? I put in my old sim card into my new 3GS, but it's still not getting any cell service. It's been over an hour and it still says "No Service" in the upper left hand corner. Wondering if the old sim card is the reason it's taking so long? or will it even get service at all?

R1 Kid

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Well I turned my OLD iPhone 3G back on and it had service (which was my new sim card in my old phone) so I swapped the new sim card back into the new 3GS and it worked immediately :) All is good in Apple land.....