Upgrading memory in my new MacBook

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

inletdoc

Jan 11, 2007
Hello, and thanks for your help,

I just bought a new macbook from Apple and I want to upgrade the memory myself from the 1GB it came with to 2GB's to max it out. My question is, I know the macbook has two memory slots, but without opening it to look, does anyone know if there is 1GB card in one slot and nothing in the other, or are there 512's 1 in each slot? This will let me know if I need to buy (2) 1gb cards or (1) 1gb.

Thanks!

G

greenmymac

It has two 512's so you will need to buy 2 1GB or you can buy 1 1GB and 1 2GB

Macbooks can max out at 3GB

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
Yeah, greenmymac is incorrect (unfortunately): ref.

Put in 2 x 1GB SO-DIMMs and you'll be fine. Make sure to get the correct sticks, ad you'll see there are myriad vendors and brands, some of which are reputable and some of which most definitely aren't. You can play it safe and buy them from Apple, but you'll pay a premium (even more if they install them).

-K

jjoseph

Jul 24, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Yeah, greenmymac is incorrect (unfortunately): ref.

Put in 2 x 1GB SO-DIMMs and you'll be fine. Make sure to get the correct sticks, ad you'll see there are myriad vendors and brands, some of which are reputable and some of which most definitely aren't. You can play it safe and buy them from Apple, but you'll pay a premium (even more if they install them).

-K
Very true. I had a horrible experience with bad RAM. I had repeated kernel panics that would require hard restarts. It's definitely worth paying a little extra to get sticks from a reputable company.

cdodkin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
www.d30-images.com
I've used PNY and Kingston RAM upgrades with no issues

Cheaper than official branded Apple RAM.

Just make sure you buy the specified speed or better, and take care when fitting - use an anti-static strap, or at least ground yourself to something before you start to open the Mac and the new memory packaging.

brinky

Bronze
Jul 24, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Hello, and thanks for your help,

I just bought a new macbook from Apple and I want to upgrade the memory myself from the 1GB it came with to 2GB's to max it out. My question is, I know the macbook has two memory slots, but without opening it to look, does anyone know if there is 1GB card in one slot and nothing in the other, or are there 512's 1 in each slot? This will let me know if I need to buy (2) 1gb cards or (1) 1gb.

Thanks!
I have always bought my Apple laptop memeory, on my 4th one so far, from http://www.crucial.com/index.asp

Might not always be the cheapest, but they have a great site to make sure you get the right memory for your specific model. And I have never had a problem with the memory I have bought from them.

/standard disclaimer:
//I am not associated with crucial, just like their service