Upgrading memory on your iPad

1. quiltfanatic

quiltfanatic New Member

I wonder if you buy a 16 or 32 gig Ipad now and decide later you need more memory, if you will be able to have more memory installed at the Apple Store?
    Anybody have a clue?

2. Josh Yates

Josh Yates Contributor Silver

Probably won't happen. You can never say never, but I'm sure they're gonna treat it like the iPhone and iPod. You want more storage or a faster machine? Pony up the dough. ;)

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Zealot Bronze

I agree with bigdog. So you have 2 thoughts here, some are getting the base 16 gig model because they fully anticipate getting a new one next April or whenever. They believe that the 2nd generation will have many improvements and though 16 gig may be a pain they know they can handle it for a year. Others including myself, are getting the 64 gig and for me anyway I'll be upgrading next April as well but I'm hoping to recoup $400-$500 on ebay next spring. You have to decide which is better for you.

5. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius Gold

Correct. No way can you get more memory installed. Buy one with more memory if you need it.

6. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator Moderator

I don't think Apple will offer any kind of service like that. It would be good if they did, but it's all about money with these guys, if you really want to have better gear. You have to stick your had into your pocket, especially in the UK.

7. zy2238

zy2238 New Member

I'm considering the AirStash. It is a wireless USB drive that can transmit movies, pictures, files, etc. to the iPad. I have the 16gb iPad, and when I've used up most of the memory I'll be looking at the AirStash or equivalent.

8. liberated

liberated Genius Gold

I am not sure how the re-sale value will hold....probably good as anything Apple. I am not sure about the iPad, with the device not being tied to a contract with any wireless provider, there is no need to "unlock" etc. so it may not be as good a re-sale as an iPhone is. Just thinking outloud here.

9. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius Gold

That is an interesting point. The iPad is so new we have no clue as to how it will resell. Humm. Makes you look a little more closely at your choices. I have not purchased my iPad yet. I planned on getting the 64Gig WiFi + 3G version. And I wasn't sure because with 3G added you have to have a $30 a month or so added on to your bill I believe, not sure, but I am sure it's not free.

The only reason I want the 3G is because when I'm at a non Wifi location like my Mom's house or my sisters house, I will need to play with this thing and while I know there are a lot of things I can do with it off line, I am sure I will want the option. I don't want to be without an option so I'll get the WiFi + 3G version.

I am just anticipating that the resale for that will be pretty good. Weather it be on ebay or to a friend.

10. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Zealot Bronze

I too am getting the 64gig with 3G so I am hoping to get 50% back after a year. But as far as the $30 data plan, don't do it. Just turn on the 3G when you need it and just get the $14.99 250 Meg version. Most people won't use more than that in a month but if you do it's still better to do the $14 and here's why.
    Let's say I get the 250 to last 20 days so paying $15 every 20 days is better than $30 every 30 days. You save $90 a year this way.
    Just an idea!