Upgrading question

uPhone559

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Mabye it's been asked somewhere but I couldn't find it. The new activation process "has" to be done in the ATT store? If we have v1 of the iPhone and say we get v2 from fleabay or craigslist can't we just pop the old sim in the new sim and avoid getting charged an extra $10 data fee a month?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Mabye it's been asked somewhere but I couldn't find it. The new activation process "has" to be done in the ATT store? If we have v1 of the iPhone and say we get v2 from fleabay or craigslist can't we just pop the old sim in the new sim and avoid getting charged an extra $10 data fee a month?
No. It won't work until you activate a new sim at the AT&T store. Apple probably won't do any activations of used iPhone 3G models.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
ColsTiger is right. Also the sims are associated with each individual phone, so this won't work.

uPhone559

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
that's an extra $360 a year for 3 iPhones (thanks att) ;/ i guess we'll stick with V1 until a solution presents itself

May 6, 2007
United States
Nope, it has to be a brand new SIM activated at an ATT or Apple store. Apple knows most ways that people will try to get around this, and rest assured, they will do their best to make sure you do in fact end up activating it at a store.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
that's an extra $360 a year for 3 iPhones (thanks att) ;/ i guess we'll stick with V1 until a solution presents itself
You're exactly right on the cost, but AT&T knows that once iPhone users get their new 3G models, their spanking brand new 3G network is going to get slammed with new users.

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
Nope, it has to be a brand new SIM activated at an ATT or Apple store. Apple knows most ways that people will try to get around this, and rest assured, they will do their best to make sure you do in fact end up activating it at a store.
What I'm wondering is how much freedom we will have after activation?

May 6, 2007
United States
You'll have all the freedom you've ever had except for activating lines through iTunes.
I guess I really hadn't thought about freedom after activation, but you are right. You will be able to use all of the features and do basically anything that Apple means for you to do. Unlocking will not be an easy freedom after activation, though.

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
On the ATT conference call, they mentioned that you will have to agree and sign a two year commitment (contract) and then activate through iTunes in the ATT store (the associate will do that for you). They also mentioned that the user will also be able to activate the SIM at home, should they not want to do it in the store, but you will have to sign that 2-year contract before leaving the store with the phone. I hope that last part is true, because in my experience, the associates in the ATT/Apple stores are not too careful handling customers' phones and i am not about to let them drop or abuse my phone before I get to use it myself. Maybe they will issue you a code and then you enter it in iTunes at home to activate the phone and SIM.