Upgrading second line question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by talon90, Oct 11, 2011.

1. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

I tried a couple of searches and didn't have any luck getting an answer. My wife and I have a family plan setup with our two phones. She is currently using a 3GS and I'm using an iPhone 4 pre-ordered and received on launch day last year. We are with AT&T. My wife is eligible for a full subsidy upgrade but I won't be eligible until November 16th (I've read that they will advance that to the 1st). If I pre-order and upgrade using her line, what will be the process? I of course will want to migrate my number and my information over to the new 4S but I'm not sure what the best course of action is. I can certainly wait (well, trying anyway) until the first of November and just upgrade my line but I'm admittedly having a hard time getting past missing out on the launch. Best Buy in my area is still showing pre-order availability and I'd be able to pick up in store on launch day. Once I update, the plan is for my wife to get my iPhone 4. Will the process be any different if she wanted to keep the 3GS?

So there it is. I just don't understand what will be involved. Is this something that I should be able to do myself once I get the new phone or will I be better served taking the three phones in to an AT&T store and having one of the associates do the swap for me? Sorry to be so long winded but I wanted to try to anticipate any questions that may come up in your quest to assist me.

Thanks,
    Paul

2. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

As long as a line is eligible to upgrade in the family plan they don't care what line you use the upgrade on. I always call them before I set it up so they can input tbe appropriate info like sim # & imei #. I've did it a few times. I usually order online but if you call & order they may be able to set it up before you receive tbe phone & just set it up like normal without calling. You will need a free line other than the ones you're upgrading & switching. Going into the store would be more simple if you wanna do it that way.