Upgrading the wife to iOS7...start with Beta 6?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by fearofnormalcy, Aug 30, 2013.

1. fearofnormalcy

fearofnormalcy Evangelist
    Gold

So after playing with my 4S on iOS7, my wife kinda wants it now.

My buddy has already registered her UDID for me, but the next question is where should I start?

I remember reading that Beta 6 was a very small update...if I download the IPSW and shift-restore to it, will that do the trick, or do I need to start with an earlier Beta, then upgrade her to 6?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Beta 4 expires on Sept. 12th. You can use beta 4, 5 or 6, but you'll need to download the full ipsw and install it through iTunes. You can update to beta 6 OTA if you install 4 or 5.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Your wife needs to keep in mind that not all apps will work with the beta, since developers aren't going to bother much with compatibility issues until iOS 7 is publicly available.

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

With a rumored release date of September 10th, I'd bet lots of developers are working overtime trying to get their apps submitted. She might run into a few issues, but it's still more stable than any Android handset. :p

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

But my point is that betas shouldn't be expected to run flawlessly on a daily driver.

6. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Completely agree, but window of instability could be 11 days to 2 weeks. Of course, there will be issues well past the golden master. Hell, some will take months to update. I bet there are a fair number of apps that still don't provide support for the iPhone 5 display.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I just answer the questions. :p

8. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

And I just create more.

9. fearofnormalcy

fearofnormalcy Evangelist
    Gold

Thanks, Europa. I installed the Beta 5 IPSW through iTunes (as I already had it downloaded), and then OTA upgraded to Beta 6.

It's running quite smoothly, actually. She's a light app user, so as long as Candy Crush and Facebook work, she's golden....

:rolleyes: