"Upgrading" to 3G iPhone

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
1,124
6
38
Florida
#1
Hey everyone. Just read/heard that the new 3G iPhone should be out in mid-June.

I've only had my current one for a few months. It has been well-protected and works like a gem. Nevertheless, I always have to have the newest thing, and will want to upgrade!

What do you all suggest would be the best measure?

Sell the iPhone on eBay and use that money to get the other?

My concern is that I heard they are significantly dropping the prices of the 3G iPhone. If they are, mine will basically be worthless. If not, I heard they might drop the prices of the old one making mine even tougher to sell.


Any advice? Thanks, experts! :)
 

24trepid

Member
Silver
Jan 13, 2008
502
0
16
Florida
#2
If you decide to sell, right now is the best time. They're going for crazy prices on ebay right now, and currently Apple isn't selling any of the current versions. Does that mean the new one is fixing to be released ? Who really knows. I'm in the same boat you are. Should I sell now, or wait ?
 

kunfuzious

Member
Bronze
Nov 3, 2007
287
3
18
Boulder
#3
I've sold two on Craigslist and it's been easy and quick. I unlocked both and sold them each to T-Mobile customers. My plan is list it on June 9th, immediately after I hear what the time table is for the 3G version (assuming they announce it then;))
 

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
1,124
6
38
Florida
#4
The only problem with selling them so early is...I would have no phone!

You guys present good ideas, and waiting until June 9 is certainly what I will do.

HOWEVER...what then? I have a feeling we all might get screwed on this. I certainly don't want to shell out another $400 for a phone I just bought.

An extra $100 or $150 is no problem.
 

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
1,124
6
38
Florida
#6
lame question but: if and when the 3g is released, and i sell my 1st gen, will i be able to use old sim card into new iPhone?
I don't think they are removeable. But, you can back-up all of your contacts to Outlook (if you have Windows) which will allow them to easily be input into the new phone.
 

jbarrack

New Member
Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
453
0
0
New York
www.facebook.com
#7
You know I was just discussing this with my uncle last night. With no iPhones available anywhere right now. The time to sell is not. They are at huge demand right now. Im going to list mine tonight and use an old att blackberry I have in the mean time. I saw a slightly used 4gb phone going for $330. Thats insane and people were bidding on it. If you wait till after the new phone come out you can drop $100 - $150 right off the bidding price. I really believe the time to sell is now.
 

Panache010

Member
Silver
Aug 19, 2007
565
0
16
77833
#8
Crazy as this may sound, IF I decide to upgrade, Im gonna keep my classic 4 gigger as a collectors item. My be worth millions when my 2 yr old becomes my age lol. I just got a new one from Apple Care so shes scratch free. (4 now)
 

adseguy

New Member
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
401
0
0
#10
Crazy as this may sound, IF I decide to upgrade, Im gonna keep my classic 4 gigger as a collectors item. My be worth millions when my 2 yr old becomes my age lol. I just got a new one from Apple Care so shes scratch free. (4 now)
I want to keep mine too just for the sake of saying this phone was the epitome of "cell" phone technology for a while.

Forget the collectors item part though.....millions were produced so it has no value really.
 

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
3,056
5
38
50
Frederick, MD
#11
Crazy as this may sound, IF I decide to upgrade, Im gonna keep my classic 4 gigger as a collectors item. My be worth millions when my 2 yr old becomes my age lol. I just got a new one from Apple Care so shes scratch free. (4 now)
Who is scratch free - the 2 yr old or the iPhone? :p

I've decided to unlock my iPhone and give it to my 9 yr old for her 10th birthday in September. She won't need the phone part, but she will be able to make do with WiFi. If I need to restore it for whatever reason after I get my V2 iPhone, I'll still be able to restore using the customized restore firmware I created via Pwange. Otherwise, iTunes will have a fit and not let me get past that activation screen.
 
#13
The card in your current iPhone should be 3G... mine is. So you should not need a new one unless they require you to when they come out. It really should not matter about the SIM since everything is through iTunes now.
 

Eric Johnson

New Member
Bronze
May 12, 2008
54
0
0
#14
You don't have to sell your old iPhone. My local Apple said you can upgrade your old iPhone with the new 3G & GPS.
 

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
3,056
5
38
50
Frederick, MD
#15
You don't have to sell your old iPhone. My local Apple said you can upgrade your old iPhone with the new 3G & GPS.
Are you saying that you can trade your old phone in towards a price reduction on the newer model? Otherwise, that defeats the purpose of selling.
 

Eric Johnson

New Member
Bronze
May 12, 2008
54
0
0
#16
They didn't get to into detail but either that, or some download via iTunes.
 

Lazarus

Member
Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
380
1
16
Miami
#17
You don't have to sell your old iPhone. My local Apple said you can upgrade your old iPhone with the new 3G & GPS.
I'll believe this when I see it. That's a risk I'm not willing to take, so if I wait and don't sell now and get a proper amount for my 16GB then I lose out on upgrade.
 

Duckman

New Member
Bronze
Apr 11, 2008
55
0
0
#18
You don't have to sell your old iPhone. My local Apple said you can upgrade your old iPhone with the new 3G & GPS.
Forgive me here Eric...is the APPLE company stores telling you and/or quoting the new features of iP2? Last time I talked to them...they looked like a was about ready squeal on an affair they were personally having. All I got was a shrug of the shoulders...dang what is the stores phone number.

I would love to get a couple quotes about what you just said....
 

Duckman

New Member
Bronze
Apr 11, 2008
55
0
0
#19
Just talked to my nearest APPLE store...Germantown, TN. They have no info...he skirted the subject a little by going the "the don't tell-us nutt'n" thing. I tried to hit him with what if I buy one today type thing.

Nothing about buying back, just the new software upgrade coming in June...

The still have 16gb...and I can find either here in Little Rock with no problem.
 

electoman

New Member
Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
127
0
0
Atlanta, GA
#20
Well, the sim card is 3G, removable and when I put it in my Tilt, I had 3G connectivity. It is just a guess on my part but, I believe that we will be able to purchase a new phone without a lot of hassle and just change cards over. We will soon see.