Upgrading to 3G S on Diff Account

sled14

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
Fort Lauderdale
I am not eligible for an upgrading since I bought the 3G last July and am not on the $100 plan. So in this case I have to pay the 399/499 price. I noticed on my familys account (separate account) they have the first gen iPhone and are eligible for an upgrade. Is it possible to upgrade the phone on the different plan, get it and activate it on my own account?
Looked but didn't see this on another topic
Thanks for any help!

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Yes, just switch sims, if one of your family members is willing to sign a 2 year contract for you.

tbuddha

Jun 10, 2009
A little tricky to do?

I have an eligible upgrade on my AT&T Family talk plan (two phones on the same account). The eligible phone is a regular one (my wife's), not my Treo 680. I want to replace the Treo, which is not yet eligible for the upgrade price break, with a new iPhone. (BTW my wife's acquiescence to this plan is not without its own price.)

I was troubled by the fact that when I tried to order the new iPhone via the Apple site, they tried to add another $30 data plan to my other regular phone, which I will not need.

So I went to the AT&T store today to order the new iPhone through them. They told me that it was just fine to use the upgrade on the other phone to get my iPhone, but they said when we actually activate it, it will have to first be activated on the eligible number, and a new data plan will have to be added to that number. Then they will have to move the iPhone over to my other number, replacing my Treo 680. At that point they will be able to immediately cancel the data plan just opened for the regular phone. They said I will lose any voice messages stored on my wife’s line, and she will have to reinstall the voicemail greeting on her phone.

powersrus

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Battle Creek, MI.
Okay so we have a Family Plan , my son got his 3G last July on launch day and it says he isn't eligible for upgrade till 3/10/10. My husband has the first iPhone and his is eiigible now. so he wants to give his dad his 3G and then he get the new 3GS on his dads eligible upgrade, so wouldn't all he and his dad have to do would be switch sim cards after he got the new 3GS right?
we are just trying to figure all this out. They both want to keep their same phone number so thats all they would have to do right just switch sims.

tbuddha

Jun 10, 2009
Shirley,

I suspect you will be OK if everyone involved is on the same Family Talk plan, and if every number involved is already paying for a data plan. However, I don't know about just moving the sim card over. I thought I should be able to get the new iPhone and just move the sim card over from my Treo 680. However, the woman at the AT&T store said they would have to first activate the new phone to the number it was being subsidized under, and then move it over to the line I want it on.

Tom

Listerman

Bronze
Sep 4, 2007
this is almost exactly what i am doing.

my primary line is not eligible to buy a 3GS because i bought a 3G on release day. my secondary line (mom's phone line, never used) is eligible for an upgrade so i ordered the 3GS off Apple.com under that phone number. when it comes just activate it on your primary line and everythings good. just make sure you call att to confirm they arent adding the data plan to the secondary line

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
I put this in another post, but this is what I did. My wife's line is eligible, so I went into an AT&T store last night and told them I wanted to use the upgrade on another line for my line to get the 3G S at the $199/299 price point. They said no problem and set me up with the pre-order.

Joe