*Urgent Assistance Requested* - Moving to America with an Unlocked Asian iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Slated

Oct 18, 2007
I have heard that if you update your phone and it's unlocked, the upgrade will ruin the phone

I am an American expat in Malaysia, but will be moving back to the US in a couple weeks.

My iPhone is from Singapore, and Apple sells them unlocked here.

What will happen when I bring my iPhone to the U.S.?

Thank you in advance for your replies

jvanlee1

Jul 17, 2007
fast one?

they're available throughout Asia
Selemat datang. EVERYTHING is "available" throughout Asia. However, Apple, Inc. is not selling iPhones in Singapore yet. If you allow iTunes to update your software, your phone will probably quit working. If you take it to Apple, Inc for service, they may refuse to service it if it is not on AT&T.

There are many threads on this forum about people's experiences with unlocking and relocking phones. They should give you the information you need.

Good luck and selemat jalang.

Lester56

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
You should wait to enter after Bush's presidency has ended. Homeland Security may pull you out of line and shoot you for entering the country with an unlocked iPhone.

(j/k of course):p

coolie

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
nothing will happen when you bring them to the us because it is a us phone. all it is is just unlocked so other sim can be use. if you plan to stay in the us then sign a contract with AT&T, if you going to be here for a couple months then buy a prepaid plan

kazaam

Bronze
Oct 8, 2007
DO NOT update to any new firmware at this point! Since your iPhone is unlock, you can use AT&T or T-Mobile in US