Urgent unlock help please

section8joe

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
I'm trying to unlock my friend's first gen iPhone running 3.0. He's going to be stationed in italy and he needs to unlock the phone. I downloaded redsn0w and I keep getting hung up waiting for the reboot. I have tried about a dozen time with no luck. Im using a macbook pro on a first gen iPhone running 3.0. What can I do to fix this problem?
Thanks in advance!

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I had the same problem. I just kept trying and it finally worked after I closed iTunes and started from the beginning all over again. I found it was hard to get it into DFU mode using the counter provided in redsn0w and kind of ignored by doing the countdown myself (10 seconds for power and home button, then let go of power button and keep home button pressed for 10 more seconds). Also try re-booting your Mac and disconnecting the iPhone and turning it on and off once.

section8joe

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
Ok, I keep trying and restoring the iPhone. Still no luck. The phone isn't activated because it's not going to be used on AT&T. Does it have to be activated in order to jailbreak/unlock it? What else can I be doing wrong? How long shoud I wait for the reboot? Any other apps I can use to jb/unlock the phone?

section8joe

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
Anybody? He leaves for Italy tonight..

GADeputy

Bronze
Jan 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Put a valid AT&T sim card in to do the jailbreak and then do the unlock. After that just take out the sim card and insert the non-AT&T sim.

Got this info directly from Ultrasn0w.com"

1. Ensure you have upgraded to iPhone OS 3.0
  2. Jailbreak your iPhone 3G using redsn0w or PwnageTool (this will also install Cydia/Icy)
  3. Run Cydia or Icy
  4. Please add the repo repo666.ultrasn0w.com to Cydia or Icy. That last “o” is actually the number zero “0”! If you use the letter “o” you’ll get an error.
  5. Search for ‘ultrasn0w’ in cydia or icy and install ultrasn0w
  6. Reboot your iPhone 3G
  7. T-Mobile USA users should disable 3G before using ultrasn0w
  8. Enjoy

section8joe

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
Ok, I unlocked the phone(I did not install cyndia)! I switched the usb cable and I opened iTunes when the waiting to reboot screen came up in redsn0w. For some reason that worked for me. How can I tell is the phone is truly unlocked. George left for Italy today and I don't want to send the phone to him unless I'm 100% certain that the phone is unlocked for him.